How to connect Arduino to Wifi 2018

Hi,

I have an Arduino UNO and I want to send data from it to an online database. In order to do this, I need to connect the Arduino to the internet wirelessly.

I have tried googling, but there doesnt seem to be any "simple" answers. Everywhere seems to answer with the "Arudino Wifi shield" - which I go to buy - and no longer exists / is a retired product, but nowhere seems to make clear what the replacement for the shield is.

I'm a beginner to electronics, no expert. I also have a GPS module I want to attach to my arduino - is it possible to attach and use my GPS module and wifi module (when I know what it is, and have it) - with my arduino simultaneously?

I have actually already obtained an ESP8266 arduino module. I'm in the process of learning how to use this, but i'm not sure how to attach it to my arduino. Does the ESP8266 do the same as the wifi shield?

Cheers!

ESP8266 beginner's guide.

Ryanlb96:
Hi,

I have an Arduino UNO and I want to send data from it to an online database. In order to do this, I need to connect the Arduino to the internet wirelessly.

I have tried googling, but there doesnt seem to be any "simple" answers. Everywhere seems to answer with the "Arudino Wifi shield" - which I go to buy - and no longer exists / is a retired product, but nowhere seems to make clear what the replacement for the shield is.

I'm a beginner to electronics, no expert. I also have a GPS module I want to attach to my arduino - is it possible to attach and use my GPS module and wifi module (when I know what it is, and have it) - with my arduino simultaneously?

I have actually already obtained an ESP8266 arduino module. I'm in the process of learning how to use this, but i'm not sure how to attach it to my arduino. Does the ESP8266 do the same as the wifi shield?

Cheers!

I also started out with an Arduino Uno then purchased the ESP-01 module to add wifi.
But to me that is cumbersome.

If I had to do it over again, I would select an all-in-one approach.
You can see a list of supported boards at Boards — ESP8266 Arduino Core 3.1.2-21-ga348833 documentation

I strongly urge you to read ESP8266 and the Arduino IDE – Martyn Currey. Martyn writes in a very clear simple manner that is easy to understand!

You could try Adafruit ATWINC1500 WiFi Breakout. Adafruit ATWINC1500 WiFi Breakout : ID 2999 : $24.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits. I not sure how complicated your code will be, but you might find the UNO may not have enough program space. The basic demo code WIFI scannetworks uses about 67% program space.

coldrain:
You could try Adafruit ATWINC1500 WiFi Breakout. Adafruit ATWINC1500 WiFi Breakout : ID 2999 : $24.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits. I not sure how complicated your code will be, but you might find the UNO may not have enough program space. The basic demo code WIFI scannetworks uses about 67% program space.

@coldrain what's the indoor/outdoor range of the ATWINC1500 unit?
Thx :slight_smile:

You can move to the new Arduino MKR 1010. It's a bit costly at $30. now, but you'll have an Arduino with lots of program space and WiFi built in.

Theron Wierenga