GPS / GSM / Mega 2560 - Tracking unit with Ublox NEO6M and SIM 808

Hi All,

This would be my first post at the forum, very new to Arduino or programming as such but definitely interested in Arduino.

I intend to make a GPS/GSM tracking unit for my car using Mega, Ublox neo 6m GPS and SIM 808 GSM module. The objective is to collect data at a scheduled interval and transmit once the ignitiion is on and stay dormant when ignition is off.

I watch a Youtube video which made a GPS tracking unit and started playing with the code, seems the unit was designed with NEO 7M GPS module which produces a specific message (NAV_PVT) which is crucial to gather GPS data to be transmitted by the GSM module. NEO 6M does not produce that perticular message and the data is spread over 5 messages in the NEO 6M (NAV-POSLLH, NAV-STATUS, NAV-SOL, NAV-TIMEUTC and NAV-VELNED).

The problem is when i try to get the 5 messages and extract data from them, nothing happens. I am able to extract data from the same GSM module with just 1 message, but not with multiple messages.

Could someone look at the code and suggest whats wrong ?

The Youtube link to the original sketch is : Arduino GPS tracker - YouTube

The Youtube link to get multiple message is : UBX binary protocol, extra tips (arduino) - YouTube

I have included the 3 sketches to the upload here (Original Sketch, My Sketch, and Ublox Multiple Messsages)

I intend to later add a CAN bus module and some sensors to the project.

Please note that I take no ownership of the codes, these were taken under GNU. Sharing is caring :slight_smile:

Thanks.

Forum Upload.zip (15.7 KB)