Arduino Yun's Linux side ( no response )

Hi,

I am Omar Mekkawy from Egypt.

I have got a serious problem with my Arduino Yun as it hang many times so I have reset the OS and also installed Openwrt and also Linino ( the latest version ) but that doesn't solve the problem, I have followed these steps to reflash it again :

I lost out in the ( Reflashing U-Boot (optional) ) step but i cant remember what is the output.
I think that the last output was erase or something .

but i know that the flashing doesn’t completed successfully, now I think that the Yun doesn’t work any more ( there is no response ) !

I have uploaded several sketches and the (32U4) works perfecly but there is no respond in yun serial terminal.

the power LED is ON also the USB Led is on too but it’s light is hardly bright.

I have the ISP Programmer does It help to reflash it also i have another arduino yun does it help ? :sob:

thanks.

Omar,
have you attached the serial port? Does it connect?
What type of computer are you using to connect to the Yun?
I run Linux, but Windows and Mac sometimes have different problems.

Jesse
In Texas, USA

jessemonroy650:
Omar,
have you attached the serial port? Does it connect?
What type of computer are you using to connect to the Yun?
I run Linux, but Windows and Mac sometimes have different problems.

Jesse
In Texas, USA

Thanks for your reply
yes also the (32U4) works perfectly, My only problem is to re flash the Processor ( The linux side ) because there is no response.

I am using Windows8.

Is there any solution for this problem ? :astonished:

My suggestion was going to be to load the YunSerialTerminal sketch for two reasons: to eliminate the possibility that a sketch is sending serial data to the Linux processor and thereby interrupting the boot process, and to be able to see the boot messages in real time in case there is a boot error.

But it sounds like you may have already tried this?

Omar_Mekkawy:
I have uploaded several sketches and the (32U4) works perfecly but there is no respond in yun serial terminal.

After loading the YunSerialTerminal sketch, and then connecting to it with the serial monitor, have you tried pressing the "Yun Reset" button that's near the LEDs? It may be that any error messages from the Linux boot process have already gone past by the time you've finally connected through the USB port?

Upon re-reading your original post, I just noticed this:

I have the ISP Programmer does It help to reflash it also i have another arduino yun does it help ? :sob:

That would help if the 32U4 bootloader got corrupted or overwritten. But we know that part is working because you can load sketches. Your problem seems to be with the Linux processor, and an ISP programmer won't help there. :frowning:

Omar_Mekkawy:
Thanks for your reply
yes also the (32U4) works perfectly, My only problem is to re flash the Processor ( The linux side ) because there is no response.

I am using Windows8.

Okay. This can be solved.

Start by running this sketch:
http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/YunSerialTerminal

You should be able to watch the Linux side boot.
After you start the IDE,
then plug in the Yun, then go to Tools->Serial Monitor

You should see the Yun going through it's boot process.

Then hit [ENTER], you should get a prompt, like this:

BusyBox v1.19.4 (2014-11-13 19:03:47 CET) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 -----------------------------------------------------

root@Arduino:/#

Type ifconfig
You should be able to see the IP of you YUN under wlan

Please respond with any help you need.

Jesse

ShapeShifter:
My suggestion was going to be to load the YunSerialTerminal sketch for two reasons: to eliminate the possibility that a sketch is sending serial data to the Linux processor and thereby interrupting the boot process, and to be able to see the boot messages in real time in case there is a boot error.

But it sounds like you may have already tried this?
After loading the YunSerialTerminal sketch, and then connecting to it with the serial monitor, have you tried pressing the "Yun Reset" button that's near the LEDs? It may be that any error messages from the Linux boot process have already gone past by the time you've finally connected through the USB port?

Upon re-reading your original post, I just noticed this:
That would help if the 32U4 bootloader got corrupted or overwritten. But we know that part is working because you can load sketches. Your problem seems to be with the Linux processor, and an ISP programmer won't help there. :frowning:

Thank you for quick reply.
Yes i did this and uploaded the Yun Serial Terminal example but i said before that there is no respond from the Linux side because i have cleared the flash memory of the micro processor using the steps in the link below but these steps ware complex so I lost out in the ( Reflashing U-Boot (optional) ) step but i cant remember what is the output was in the terminal.

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/YunUBootReflash

when i push the reset button of the yun there is no respond too also the wifi led is off .

I hope any one provide me with any solution to re flash the Yun micro processor.

Thank's alot,
Greetings from Egypt.

jessemonroy650:
Okay. This can be solved.

Start by running this sketch:
http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/YunSerialTerminal

You should be able to watch the Linux side boot.
After you start the IDE,
then plug in the Yun, then go to Tools->Serial Monitor

You should see the Yun going through it's boot process.

Then hit [ENTER], you should get a prompt, like this:

BusyBox v1.19.4 (2014-11-13 19:03:47 CET) built-in shell (ash)

Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

_______                    ________        __
|      |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
|  -  ||  _  |  -|    ||  |  |  ||  ||  |
|
_____||  |
||||___|||  |____|
          |
| W I R E L E S S  F R E E D O M

root@Arduino:/#

Type ifconfig
You should be able to see the IP of you YUN under wlan

Please respond with any help you need.

Jesse

Thank you for your reply.
Yes i know this but i have cleared the flash memory of the micro processor (it's like formatting the computer :o ) so this mean that there is no any thing in the processor.

And when i start the serial terminal there is any respond when starting the yun serial terminal.

the (32U4) works fine also.

Thanks alot.

another topic has the same problem here :
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=224774.0

Omar_Mekkawy:
there is no respond from the Linux side because i have cleared the flash memory of the micro processor using the steps in the link below but these steps ware complex so I lost out in the ( Reflashing U-Boot (optional) ) step but i cant remember what is the output was in the terminal.

So it sounds like you're saying you have successfully erased the uboot area, and couldn't or didn't reprogram a new uboot image. At this point if you have cycled power or reset the Yun so that you no longer have the reprogramming prompts, then you are out of luck and the Linux processor is now an inert brick.

I'm sorry to say that I don't think there is any solution to this. That's why the reprogramming page has the warnings that reloading the uboot image will void your warranty, because any errors will make the Linux processor unbootable. I believe the only solution is to replace the flash chip that is under the metal shield -- probably not practical for the typical hobbyist.

ShapeShifter:
So it sounds like you're saying you have successfully erased the uboot area, and couldn't or didn't reprogram a new uboot image. At this point if you have cycled power or reset the Yun so that you no longer have the reprogramming prompts, then you are out of luck and the Linux processor is now an inert brick.

I'm sorry to say that I don't think there is any solution to this. That's why the reprogramming page has the warnings that reloading the uboot image will void your warranty, because any errors will make the Linux processor unbootable. I believe the only solution is to replace the flash chip that is under the metal shield -- probably not practical for the typical hobbyist.

Yes that's right, it doesn't matter for me if the warranty is voided i just want it to work back again :smiley:
but anyway i have removed the metal area and i have a several tools ( hot air station ... etc ) but what about the flash programmer ?
is there any simple circuit that used as a flash programmer ( parallel port or serial port or something ) ?

Thanks a a lot.
Greetings from Egypt.

This is the Yun when removing the metal cover :

( The IC 8 pins beside the ICSP socket is the serial flash memory ).

but i wounder if anyone could provide us with some information about the simplest programmer for it ( if there is a circuit for it ) and what files have to be uploaded to it.

Thanks.

Omar,
good luck.
I stay away from reflashing with a good reason. I have plenty of bricks. :wink:
Jesse

in Circuit Flash Programmer, mean no power on Yun just plug in then program.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=214167.msg1571563#msg1571563

Very pricy!

desoldering flash and put it into normal flash programmer will be more practical.

From your picture, it looks like the flash chip is a 250128FVSG, but I can't find a data sheet for it. It's not clear, am I reading the part number incorrectly?

Here's how I would approach it:

• Find a data sheet for the part and understand the interface (probably SPI.)
  • Hook up a logic analyzer to capture the chip communications, power up the board, and determine the starting address of the boot code.
  • Unsolder the flash chip from the board.
  • Cobble together a flash programmer using the SPI interface of an Arduino.
  • Write a bootloader sketch to read the uboot image, translating the addresses from the starting address in the image, to the starting address of the chip.
  • Run the sketch to program and verify the flash chip.
  • Solder the chip back on the board.
  • Power up the Yun and hope it works.
  • Load the YunSerialTerminal sketch and follow the rest of the re-flash procedure to load the rest of the flash contents.

By the time that is all done, I would've spent so many engineering hours which I could've charged to clients, that I could probably have bought a dozen new Yun's instead. It wouldn't be worth my time to fix it.

But if you have more time than money, and you want to do the research and really learn something, then that's the basic approach I would try. If all else fails, you'll still have a dead Yun, just like you do now, so the only thing really at risk is time.

ShapeShifter:
From your picture, it looks like the flash chip is a 250128FVSG, but I can't find a data sheet for it. It's not clear, am I reading the part number incorrectly?

Almost, It should be WINBOND 25Q128FVSG.

http://www.nexflash.com/NR/rdonlyres/A5B6C30B-C174-43CF-867E-E1A2F371A07C/0/W25Q128FV.pdf

Replacement:

Macronix MX25L128
Spansion S25FL127S

sonnyyu:

in Circuit Flash Programmer, mean no power on Yun just plug in then program.

How to "clone" Linino including custom configurations - #11 by sonnyyu - Arduino Yún - Arduino Forum

Very pricy!

Thank you for replying.
but how i connect this crocodile ( is there a circuit or something to connect it with ) ???

any ways i also have a hot air station so removing the flash is not hard for me.

Greetings from Egypt.

sonnyyu:
desoldering flash and put it into normal flash programmer will be more practical.

there is no problem for me to desolder it.

also i have another yun and also arduino uno ( could it help me ) ?

ShapeShifter:

• Hook up a logic analyzer to capture the chip communications, power up the board, and determine the starting address of the boot code.
  • Write a bootloader sketch to read the uboot image, translating the addresses from the starting address in the image, to the starting address of the chip.
  • Load the YunSerialTerminal sketch and follow the rest of the re-flash procedure to load the rest of the flash contents.

By the time that is all done, I would've spent so many engineering hours which I could've charged to clients, that I could probably have bought a dozen new Yun's instead. It wouldn't be worth my time to fix it.

But if you have more time than money, and you want to do the research and really learn something, then that's the basic approach I would try. If all else fails, you'll still have a dead Yun, just like you do now, so the only thing really at risk is time.

ShapeShifter:

The flash memory IC is : 25q128fvsg
1 - yes it's SPI
2 - the next month i will have a mixed signal oscilloscope ( 16 Digital Channels + 2 Analog Channels ). :grin:

5 - I just want some one expert in the Yun board ( it will be appreciated if he provide us with this information ).

Don't worry i will buy new one and also i will research on the old one.

Thank's a lot.
Greetings from egypt :slight_smile: