Device detected, can't loopback, upload or sync

I'm using a knockoff UNO.

I've installed the CH340 driver on Windows 10, as that's how I got my Genuine Uno working

Sketch Editor 1.8.5 correctly picks up the COM port in use same as for Genuine board.
However, when plugged in, ON and L light up instantly and stay on. No flashing, no TX/RX. Same port (and multiple other tried ports) all work fine with other boards.

Upload of Example > Blink fails with the error

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7e

(note, was getting resp 0xdc previously, however both codes don't give me anything useful with google)

Loop back test doesn't do anything.

I've gone through the troubleshooter guide as best I know to. Still kind of new.

Tools > Board Info returns a VID and PID, but no BN or SN

Reset button doesn't appear to do anything. Have tried multiple vesion of holding it down/timing the press during upload. Nothing changes, and the two lights just stay on the whole time with no flashing anywhere.

Does this sound like I just need to use my Genuine working one to redo the bootloader? Or is this knockoff stuffed. I'm honestly not sure if this one has ever actually been used, and other ones in the same batch work fine.

The bootloader was my next theory, but currently unable to do that for another 6-8 hours so thought I'd ask first.

re-bootload it. If no blinking light after pressing reset, that implies no bootloader is present.

Updating: Bootloader fixed it. Followed the ArduinoISP tutorial with pins 10-13 from Uno to Uno, flashed super fast (never dont a bootloader before) and it could then immediately pick up the blink sketch (and further ones after that).