Windows 10 and CH340

I was having the same issue discussed here but found my solution was not with drivers or a USB 2.0 hub. I was attempting to flash it after hooking it up to my board. What I found is if the RX and TX pins were connected, the flashing would fail for larger programs, but it would work for small Blinky type programs. Once I disconnected the RX and TX, the problem went away.

jonbuford:
I was having the same issue discussed here but found my solution was not with drivers or a USB 2.0 hub. I was attempting to flash it after hooking it up to my board. What I found is if the RX and TX pins were connected, the flashing would fail for larger programs, but it would work for small Blinky type programs. Once I disconnected the RX and TX, the problem went away.

This is true for any arduino programmed over serial - you can't have anything that might interfere connected to those pins, since they're also used to program it.

Also, anyone who suggests a driver issue or using a USB 2.0 hub when the error you get is a sync error doesn't know what they're talking about. If you get to the point of getting a sync error, the drivers are fine and it's not a weird USB problem!

DrAzzy:
@johnnycanuck - Choose the Old Bootloader option from the tools -> processor menu after selecting the board. The new IDE versions by default assume you're using a nano with the "new bootloader" (which is present on official nano's since the beginning of the year), unless you tell it otherwise. But clones almost universally still come with the "old bootloader".

Thanks. Turned out that was the issue with the newer IDE. Didn't help that I had one faulty cable as well as a faulty Nano in the mix, which made troubleshooting much more challenging.

Good thread. I'm sure it has helped a lot of people. Just to add my fix to the mix. I purchased 5 nano clones that from XCSOURCE Direct on Amazon. The board uses the CH340 chip. The driver installed fine and I could choose the com port in the IDE.

I could not upload to my board though. I would get the error :

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe2
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe2
etc...

I changed the board to UNO via the IDE. That didn't help.
I changed the board to PRO MINI and then I was able to download.

Still don't know what the problem was though, but it's working now : )

1 Like

noweare:
Still don't know what the problem was though, but it's working now : )

EXACTLY what DrAzzy told in reply #41 :wink:

septillion:
EXACTLY what DrAzzy told in reply #41 :wink:

Yeah, that worked. I guess I glazed over that reply. : )

I changed the board to PRO MINI and then I was able to download.
It helped me too) I have no idea why

1 Like

Even this topic is old, I have tried everything to make my clone of Arduino Nano. In my country is cheapest than a standalone ATmega 328 PU with a bootloader. and ofc is more suitable for prototyping. So, my solution comes with a USB 2.0 to TTL UART on FTDI FT232RL.
I suppose that some of this cheap clone have some problems with CH340 CI, so in my case, that was the problem (i tried all solution from this forum, also from other internet pages)
Hope that is another solution for this problem

Hello, I was also struggling with CH340 Nano board with a Laptop that uses USB3.0 port. After reading several time this blog and tried all this things

Main problem for me was not been able to see the COM Port in the device manager

1. Reinstall latest version Arduino
  2. copy all to local folders avoid using one drive
  3. Reinstall the drivers from Chinese source and the second source
  4. removing everything from device drivers several times
  5. Uninstalled and reinstalled several times.
  6. restarting the computer several times

I was about to give up forever, but decided to do a new try

Solution

1. At the end I changed the USB cable. Even that the cable worked with Arduino UNO

2. Reinstall the Chinese drivers (not sure if this helped at the end)
  3. Restart the computer
  4. connect again the Arduino nano board
  5. used the ATMEGA328P (Old Bootloader) as it was suggested in some earlier posts
  6. confirmed the port COM4 for me same as the device manager
  7. Used a simple program and made the compile / upload

and finally it worked. The big thing was changing the cable. Probably this help others, get some additional cables to try before going crazy as me. Now let's play.

Ed - Pontlalocus

1 Like

Ehh.. having this same problem. Cheap chinese clone. Windows 10 recognizes the device, but I cant upload a sketch. It does blink some leds when I try to send the sketch but ends up on that typical error.

However I can upload sketches with usbasp, but I really need that plain usb cable working..

Any ideas? Bad cable?

Did you install the driver from here? CH341SER.EXE - 南京沁恒微电子股份有限公司

kasvi:
Windows 10 recognizes the device

Without ? or ! in the device manager?

eduardoelpana76:
Solution

1. At the end I changed the USB cable. Even that the cable worked with Arduino UNO

Absolutely the same here. I spent two days going crazy over why was my machine not recognizing the Arduino Mega (it was nowhere to be seen in the device manager). In the end, I tried another cable and... "dun dun dun" the device recognized sound...

Worked flawlessly.

1 Like

I gave up on CH340 equipped boards. I had some problems when the low cost Mega2560 boards moved to the CH chips but I managed to get the project done. A few months ago I landed a similar project designing a retrofit/daughter board solution for hospital room vitals monitors. I bought 125 Nanos with the CH340g chips as I was assured that their driver issues were resolved.

I was able to program them until they suddenly show up in device manager as "unknown device status request- failed...". The nanos that failed like this continue to run the last code that loaded successfully but will not show up as a valid port. With the exact same platform (same cable, same PC, same everything), I could plug in a fresh nano and the new nano would show up in device manager as a valid serial port and program perfectly.

I no longer use any boards that use the CH chips. I have no problems with the FTDI,CP2102 or Intel AU chips...just with the CHs.

A FTDI equipped nano is about $5 or less, a CH equipped board is $2 bucks.
Isn't our time more valuable than a couple of bucks per board??

jp

Weird, after years and years never had a single CH340 fail.

I do have problems with FTDI though. With the fakes because they are blocked with the driver. And with the real deal because of how FTDI handle the whole FTDI-gate...

Hi guys, I had a similar experience and I found out that you have to have a good cable.

I had the same problem that when I was installing the driver the system told me that it is already on, and did not let me uninstall it. So I tried around 3 cables and just only one of them worked, even though they look perfectly fine and with 2 the Arduino module red led diode was on, so very misleading.

Anyway, TLDR: be sure to have a good cable !!! Took 2 hours of my life :smiley:

Hi,

I've been using my Uno R3 clone for a couple of weeks, no problem...Win 10 64 bit, IDE 1.8.10.

I've got the code finished (output board to control my Jukebox) and a couple of days ago I bought a cheap Nano to use but when I tried it today I coudn't get it to load.

Error: avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xe2

I'd changed the Tools\Board, confirmed the Com port was working and set correctly, seen that the LEDs flashed as I plugged in the Nano.

Searching around I found that comment 41 here provided the solution...

'Choose the Old Bootloader option from the tools -> processor menu after selecting the board'.

Regards
Peter

Can anyone help me problem with CH340 drivers.

My ch340 drivers worked ok many months this computer. Now little time ago they stopped working.

Device manager show only "USB2.0-Serial" with yellow mark. Then i download ch341 china drivers and install them. That goes ok i click uninstall "usb2.0-serial driver is uninstalled", then i click install after little time that says drivers are succesfully installed.

Then i close that chinese driver window and put my nodemcu back to usb port. Little time and same USB2.0-serial device is back with yellow mark.

I tryed update driver manually on device manager and click destination where is new ch341 inf files, but windows tells that find right drivers, but cannot install them right now :S

Hopefully someone can help, try everything and not get that drivers working :frowning:

I solved problem USB2.0-Serial.

I can't solved changing usb cable, reinstall CH340 drivers(old version too) on my labtop.

but in other computer work well with same cable, device.

driver work after install window update(KB4537572, KB4541335).

At first, Aduino was working well, but suddenly, there was a problem, but I suspect it was a windows10 problem.

I also had some problems with installing the CH340 drivers. Watch this video it explains everything USB to Serial Port Installation and Troubleshooting - Downloading Drivers, Changing Com Port Number - YouTube Also for downloading the drivers here is a link Sample PLC Programs — TW Controls

For me it worked perfectly

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.