Spam fighting request

I'm keen to minimise the impact on legitimate new (or existing) users. If things get "bad enough" I guess we could consider moderation of initial messages but my suggestion would be to see how long the "deletion regime" remains effective.

I tend to agree, if the sign-up process is too invasive, I generally don't sign up for a site. One forum I'm on has an initial period where you can't post links, can't sent private messages, etc. I think their threshold is 10 legit posts.

But for now I'm just enjoying my spam-free Arduino experience, so thank you, Phil :).

And for the record, I'm in Eastern time in Canada :wink:

I'm keen to minimise the impact on legitimate new (or existing) users

I wasn't talking about gagging new users, I just wanted to point out that with an update of YaBB to 2.2.3 it is possible to prevent this:

10: user applies for new account
20: current YaBB automatically accepts that
30: user clicks on a link in the email
40: voila: valid account
50: SPAM SPAM SPAM
60: goto 10

if admins must confirm creation on new forum accounts, this process can be slowed down a lot.

I bet I could create accounts faster than any admin can delete them right now...
all I'm saying is that currently this forum is WIDE OPEN for spammers.

I'm keen to minimise the impact on legitimate new (or existing) users

(...snip...)

if admins must confirm creation on new forum accounts, this process can be slowed down a lot.

That's the impact I'm keen to minimise. :slight_smile: At the moment I would consider the impact of having new users wait outweighs the benefit of stopping a few spammer accounts. This could change in the future. YMMV.

--Phil.

I'm ok to help follower on the de-spam task. I'm in Europe (France), and I check the forum at least each hour.
Cheers

I check the forum at least each hour.

You're even more of an addict than me! :slight_smile:

--Phil.

I check the forum at least each hour.

You're even more of an addict than me! :slight_smile:

--Phil.

Only once an hour, sigh! I think I need a 12 step program (written in C++ of course) :wink:

[You're even more of an addict than me! :slight_smile:
--Phil.

I just read something about that. Supposedly it's the same sort of addiction as a slot player. Each time you visit it's like pulling the handle, and the jackpot is a good posting to reply to.

--Phil.

I just read something about that. Supposedly it's the same sort of addiction as a slot player. Each time you visit it's like pulling the handle, and the jackpot is a good posting to reply to.

does that one count?

--Phil.

does that one count?

and now ?

LOL, yeah I've seen email and web browsing described in the same way.

Slightly back on topic, I've had a couple of PMs regarding the level of discourse in a recent thread.

I'm keen for us to maintain our current community "policing" of standards and not become the local deputy but leave that role to the existing global moderators.

I see myself as a moderator purely for anti-spam purposes--is that the current expectation?

--Phil.

P.S. ka-ching

The neighborhood is usually quite orderly. I think theres a single exception at the moment taking up space and it would be a shame if it became the norm.

Personally I'm not here often enough to notice the goings ons, but the spam however is evident each time I visit. So in order of priority, I guess spam would have to be at the very top.

The new YaBB seems to have some anti-spam measures, but I'm not sure that they're working right. I got a "you're posting too fast, you might be a spammer" warning on using the PREVIEW function, and PREVIEW also seems to change the POST button to WAIT. Also, after getting the warning and going BACK to continue/retry, I was stuck at a page where neither the PREVIEW nor POST buttons seemed to work any more. (Copy, back to forum, retry-reply, paste, wait, post... worked ok.)

Yeah, I've been having trouble with them as well. We will keep tweaking the settings.

What's with the quote button ?

Have you tried mod_sec?

:slight_smile:

No.

And if I were thick in the head I'd immediately ask why and how an apache module influenced said button. ::slight_smile:

Sorry, that was for Mellis

:slight_smile:

I know ;D

Just couldn't resist.

lol ;D

let's make it official

@mellis: Have you tried mod_sec?

The server was having several issues last week

No, what does it do?