arduino and keil

hello. im new to the world of microcontrollers. id really appreciate it if someone could tell me what keil and arduino are? are both used to write code and compile it for burning it onto a microcontroller?
what are their differences? and is arduino hardware or software?

and is arduino hardware or software?

its both a nice breakout board, and a software package to make it easier to start in the world of micro's

keil, which I have not seen until just now, seems to be akin to AVRStudio for the avr's like what the arduino uses, though its much less freindly to a new person, but also keep in mind that comparing an Arm to a atmega is like comparing a Pentium 4 to an Apple II

Keil has been in business many years supplying compiler and assembly language tool suites for embedded processor systems. Keil is well respected for quality of their products, although I haven't personally used anything since an 8051 project that I once worked on. (Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away.)

Nowadays they also sell hardware development boards for processor chips that support and are supported by the various compilers.

Some chip vendors (Texas Instruments, for example) supply evaluation copies of Keil compilers with their evaluation boards. These compilers are almost always stripped down to some subset or with some sub-optimal features of the "real" compilers, or maybe the license expires after a certain time, so that if you want to keep using that development system you have to pay for a full-fledged compiler.or limited time

How much do they cost? Well a real good clue as to affordability is that, the last time I checked, they don't have prices on their web site. You can "ask for a quote," and you will be assigned an account manager who will contact you.

Now: What is Arduino? Well if you found this Forum, surely you found the Getting Started: Introduction. Right?

Regards,

Dave

sorry. confusion about arduino was because i missed the physical computing concept completely. so basically, arduino provides a complete solutions package for it while if im going to use arm, atmega or others, im gonna need a whole lot of other stuff like keil, some other interfacing hardware etc etc to do whatever i want to. right?

pretty much (btw arduino uses an atmega)

lol. alright. i get it now:)