Go Down

Topic: SOLVED: Detatch ferrite magnet from iron (Read 391 times) previous topic - next topic

Johan_Ha

Apr 24, 2018, 10:16 am Last Edit: Apr 24, 2018, 08:24 pm by Johan_Ha
This is a thing I got from an old CD player. It was a linear actuator with these magnets and the coil (and a linear potentiometer and whatnot). I need this coil and the iron bars for an electromagnet. Anyone know how the ferrite magnets are attached to the iron bars? Epoxy? I need to have them removed. They might get destroyed, but I don't mind. Though the magnets look nice and could be reused, if I can remove them unharmed.

If you ask for help and write 'u' instead of 'you' because you think it's convenient, I will write 'no' instead of 'yes'. For same reasons.

wvmarle

Best guess: some adhesive.

Try a knife, place it in the gap, then gently hit it with a light hammer. Increase force until it breaks off. And be really careful to not cut yourself or the table under it (best put a piece of wood under it to protect knife and table). That's how I've separated hard disk magnets from their metal support (and most actually didn't break).
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

Johan_Ha

Someone suggested warming. That might destroy the magnets. Perhaps driving a high current through the iron using a car accu charger. It would warm the iron and perhaps not that much the magnet, before I manage to rip off the magnet.

If you ask for help and write 'u' instead of 'you' because you think it's convenient, I will write 'no' instead of 'yes'. For same reasons.

Johan_Ha

Apr 24, 2018, 08:21 pm Last Edit: Apr 24, 2018, 08:24 pm by Johan_Ha

It was a piece of cake in the end. Just a soft touch with a hammer.

Go Up