Go Down

Topic: Arduino to Printer through Parallel Port (Read 38068 times) previous topic - next topic

pilustrin

Working perfect on Epson LX-300 matricial printer.

Thnks!.

odepira

Hello everyone , I wonder if somehow I could print using a single needle. I want to develop a cheaper solution for a punch press .

muessigb

Reduced it to 5 needed pins on the Arduino and a little bit of external circuitry.
If anybody is interested I can post code and schematics :)

uxomm

To see how problems can be solved is always interesting and people can learn from it.

So, please post your solution!
Always decouple electronic circuitry.

SilverGreen93

I tested this with my HP Deskjet 400 printer and it works great!
But I have one big question:
I want to make a typewriter-like arduino application that will receive characters through serial port and send them to the printer.
When writing the code, it seems that the printer doesn't print immediately as it receives the characters, rather it buffers them and prints only when receiving a certain number of lines or a printer reset.
Can I force it to somehow print each line/character exactly when it is received? So to act like a real typewriter?
Thanks!

Paul_KD7HB

Review PCL3 and see if there is any command to do what you want. That is the language the printer uses.

Paul

peterb1975

Works great on EPSON dot matrix receipt printer,
can anyone please help me to modify this program that the Arduino receive serial data RS232
(through MAX3232) and print it out to this LPT printer.

This would be a kind of a serial to LPT converter where we can add some extra lines
before and after the receipt. (Header with date and time... footer with contacts and cut paper ESC codes)

SilverGreen93

Works great on EPSON dot matrix receipt printer,
can anyone please help me to modify this program that the Arduino receive serial data RS232
(through MAX3232) and print it out to this LPT printer.

This would be a kind of a serial to LPT converter where we can add some extra lines
before and after the receipt. (Header with date and time... footer with contacts and cut paper ESC codes)

I have done exactly that here:
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=524017.0

I can send you / post the final code if you need it.

robtillaart

I have done exactly that here:
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=524017.0

I can send you / post the final code if you need it.
If you do not mind, you could post (attach) the final code here too
Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

SilverGreen93

Sure, for anyone interested, the project code is here:
https://github.com/SilverGreen93/USB-Centronics

Wessie

Thank you guys!!! Youve been of great help! I've been looking to blow new life in my old dot matrix printer in the basement. I want to use the printer in a retro type style to print selected tweets and or breaking news,etc. Just for fun. Hopefully there will be a complete dot matrix library available ( unless I overlooked it) sometime soon. But again, thank you guys (and girls :D)  and of course Arduino!!!

SilverGreen93

Thank you guys!!! Youve been of great help! I've been looking to blow new life in my old dot matrix printer in the basement. I want to use the printer in a retro type style to print selected tweets and or breaking news,etc. Just for fun. Hopefully there will be a complete dot matrix library available ( unless I overlooked it) sometime soon. But again, thank you guys (and girls :D)  and of course Arduino!!!
Well, I use my adapter for printing text either from old PCs that support only serial adapters.
If you want to print just text, there is not much else that you need. I tested it with Notepad, Word, even Excel and they all printed great in text-only mode.
Even tested the adapter with an Amstrad CPC and Altair 8800. This is the reason I wrote the code for this adapter.
If you want graphics and more, you need to make the PC software send the required commands via the serial port.
Only if you plan to use the Arduino printer stand alone you need more library functions. Otherwise, it is the PC's job to send the correct data stream to the printer.

Go Up