• libary of generic boards, non-oem boards and others
  • schematics
  • shield libary
  • sensor libary
  • code reference
  • Bluetooth controller for Iot projects and more
  • stock system for keeping track of all your parts
  • tutorials

For the most part, I have completed a lot of this or am well on my way. I need help building databases of the shields, sensors. Etc and also some help with the code library and tutorials.

If anyone can help, that would be great. The app will be provided free of charge without ads.

Credit to all those who help will of course be given.

:slight_smile: thanks muchly

Dale

Up!

I have a few suggestions for how you can encourage collaboration in your project:

Provide more details. At least for me, it's not entirely clear what this project is about. For example, I suspect that what you mean by "library" is different from how we normally use that word in the Arduino world (these).

Make it open source, with a standard open source license.

Publish it on GitHub.

Hi Pert

Thanks for the advice. I have never actually done a community app like this before so this really helps. I am going to put the Beta version on the play store today so I will add a link so everyone can see.

I can't share all the code for the app as it uses a template I created for commercial use but maybe I could create a GitHub page for the JSON databases.

Link to play store to follow shortly :slight_smile:

I don't think you would like, but if in case you want paid help then you can contact me.

gonna send you a PM of my contact, reply if interested.

thank you.

Luis

Thanks, Luis, but this is just a community app I am devoting my free time to for the community. I will make no money from it nor do I intend to monetise it (maybe a donation button).

If you want to help, I would be happy to split any money that comes from a donation button.

For those of us with access to Google, what's the point of your app?

dalekirkwood:
Thanks, Luis, but this is just a community app I am devoting my free time to for the community. I will make no money from it nor do I intend to monetise it (maybe a donation button).

If you want to help, I would be happy to split any money that comes from a donation button.

hello dale,

you are doing a great job but I won't be able to help at this point but thank you so much for the reply.

This “app” appears to be an information database about the Arduino platform, if I have understood correctly. But what platforms does your “app” run on ?
To keep this up to date , if it is at all comprehensive, would be a massive task.

Thanks for the replies guys.

@wvmarle - There are many apps that can be easily substituted with Google :-D. But they still exist and have many users. An app gives a solid offline database that can be accessed anytime. You are on the train and want to choose boards and sensors for your next project, well then you have it there.

I will add screenshots of the app shortly but let me tell you why I am making it.

I have tons of sensors, boards and random parts at home. When I come to do a project I don't know if I have a DHT11 sensor without looking, so I wanted an app that would help me keep stock. An app with a built-in library of parts.

So I am not just building a reference but an application that will manage your stock, work as a Bluetooth controller for your Arduino and give you project ideas.

The functionality I would like to add is, for example, you list all the parts you have and it gives you project ideas for those parts.

I think keeping it up to date is not so hard. The language Arduino uses rarely changes and there is not a new board every week, so personally I believe it will be minor updates.

What do you think?

dalekirkwood:
@wvmarle - There are many apps that can be easily substituted with Google :-D. But they still exist and have many users. An app gives a solid offline database that can be accessed anytime. You are on the train and want to choose boards and sensors for your next project, well then you have it there.

I do keep some frequently used datasheets offline on my computer, that's some 180 MB for just 71 of them. That includes a number of ATMEL datasheets for various processors, a number of sensors that I happen to use in different projects, some MOSFETs, etc. Your database will get really big, fast.
Of course that's not complete, but I've never seen that as an issue - just tethering my laptop to my phone and download as needed. For any useful database, without giving the users the feeling that "most parts are missing!" you need hundreds more datasheets.
A phone is anyway quite hopeless for studying datasheets. Way too small a screen, way too hard to navigate.

I have tons of sensors, boards and random parts at home. When I come to do a project I don't know if I have a DHT11 sensor without looking, so I wanted an app that would help me keep stock. An app with a built-in library of parts.

Now all that's left to do is tediously keep your stock up to date! That includes updating it every time you take a part and use it in a project, and when your project is done and you recover the parts make sure they're all added back in.

I've sorted all in a couple dozen compartment boxes, roughly categorised. That's enough to answer the question "do I have this part" within a few minutes, if I think I may have it. Otherwise I'll just order another 5-10 of it. Most parts and sensors are cheap, unused ones just get added to the parts box.

work as a Bluetooth controller for your Arduino

How do you see this? Considering the hundreds of different controls imaginable, how will you make sure this is not hopelessly limited as well? I don't think any such program exists - definitely not for the generic case. There's a reason for that: there is no such thing as a generic control for an Arduino! Most that I know of that do Bluetooth control will start with a Bluetooth terminal, and then create a simple app with App Inventor or so, that's tailored to their specific use case.

I think keeping it up to date is not so hard. The language Arduino uses rarely changes and there is not a new board every week, so personally I believe it will be minor updates.

The reference manual for C++ is no doubt HUGE, especially if you want explanations and examples on the various commands. Add to that the manual of the Arduino specific functions (is that even available as download? I only ever read this part online).

wvmarle:
Add to that the manual of the Arduino specific functions (is that even available as download? I only ever read this part online).

You can download it as asciidoc markup content here:

There are also translations of the content into several languages here:

pert:
You can download it as asciidoc markup content here:
GitHub - arduino/reference-en: Editable source for the Arduino Reference
There are also translations of the content into several languages here:
Arduino · GitHub

Thanks Pert, this is great. I will add this in.

wvmarle:
I do keep some frequently used datasheets offline on my computer, that's some 180 MB for just 71 of them. That includes a number of ATMEL datasheets for various processors, a number of sensors that I happen to use in different projects, some MOSFETs, etc. Your database will get really big, fast.
Of course that's not complete, but I've never seen that as an issue - just tethering my laptop to my phone and download as needed. For any useful database, without giving the users the feeling that "most parts are missing!" you need hundreds more datasheets.
A phone is anyway quite hopeless for studying datasheets. Way too small a screen, way too hard to navigate.
Now all that's left to do is tediously keep your stock up to date! That includes updating it every time you take a part and use it in a project, and when your project is done and you recover the parts make sure they're all added back in.

I've sorted all in a couple dozen compartment boxes, roughly categorised. That's enough to answer the question "do I have this part" within a few minutes, if I think I may have it. Otherwise I'll just order another 5-10 of it. Most parts and sensors are cheap, unused ones just get added to the parts box.

How do you see this? Considering the hundreds of different controls imaginable, how will you make sure this is not hopelessly limited as well? I don't think any such program exists - definitely not for the generic case. There's a reason for that: there is no such thing as a generic control for an Arduino! Most that I know of that do Bluetooth control will start with a Bluetooth terminal, and then create a simple app with App Inventor or so, that's tailored to their specific use case.

The reference manual for C++ is no doubt HUGE, especially if you want explanations and examples on the various commands. Add to that the manual of the Arduino specific functions (is that even available as download? I only ever read this part online).

There is an app called Blynk that does support many things with the Arduino board over Bluetooth, it offers something for free but then you have to pay. I wanted to offer some nice functionality for people who do not have coding experience.

I take on board the things you are saying. I will release the better version on the Play Store as soon as it is approved and everyone can give opinions and feedback. There are many apps on the stores with good reviews and lots of users so I see there is some kind of demand.

Whatever the feedback, I did it for the community and that's that. If the community doesn't want it then I will fall on my sword :-D.

Hi All

So the App is released for Beta Testing

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.gmail.dalekirkwood.completearduinoguide

I would love some feedback.

Thanks