Solar Eclipse 2017

Is anyone traveling to see the eclipse? Im heading down to Columbia, SC today...

We are almost directly in the path. The only problem will be the smoke.

Is this an invite?

BTW, it only takes 2 minutes to remove a bronze horse off a cement base.

How would you know, you've never experienced one.

Sure, it's an invite. Anyone who wants to hot-rack it with me I'm down.

I don't have time to waste protecting or demolishing monuments to dead losers. I did like the point that one anti-conferate person made to those who said demolishing confederate statues is removing history: when we won our independence we weren't worried about "removing history" we melted down a statue of king George and turned it into musket balls... now, I'm not sure if that story is true or not, but it is a good story. I'm just not a fan of spending millions of dollars to remove them though. Maybe that money would be better spent on education for fatherless inner city kids or on drug treatment centers for meth whores and crack addicts. I mean, shake a fist, remove a statue, and wham bam thank you woman of the night ~ equality.

Nah.

Perhaps the gods are giving the nation a sign that it is time to impeach.
Being gods, they would have known well in advance that you would need a sign right about now

:wink: I'm sure the d man is working on it as we speak

Even a partial is pretty special - the ones I remember were just . . weird.

Summer, middle of the day, so shadows were short, but the light levels unseasonable - just felt wrong. Quite unsettling.

Yeah, lunar ones aren't great but the m pretty sure there is a use difference :slight_smile:

TKall:
We are almost directly in the path. The only problem will be the smoke.

I heard you can buy some now in Illinois.

Make a pin hole camera with a white paper screen to display the bite out of the sun.

We will be just south of St. Louis watching this one. I heard the path is going to cross a tropical storm and they're saying that's a first since they've had the meteorological science to really see if the sudden cool down does anything.

Yeah, tropical storm Harvey, but not the full eclipse, 50% I think. Harvey weekened into a depression today though so Idk...

Hi,
I'll be watching with you, outside with my piece of paper and pinhole, ... in .. the.... middle... of.... the.. night.......

I think I have a little problem.......

I can remember a total eclipse here in Australia back in the late 70's, up on a high hill, student BBQ.
We could see the fantastic speed that the shadow moves, just don't blink.

Hmm..now where is my LED lantern...

Good luck on the viewing.. Tom.. :slight_smile:

Just a thought.

Well, that was pretty cool. We had some clouds early, while the eclipse was starting but about 30 minutes before totality it cleared up and the sight was amazing....

The iPhone doesn't take good photos, but if you want to see what an eclipse looks like in a photo, go online. In person is much better. :smiley:

It stays pretty bright until totality, then it goes dark and you see suns rise and sunset at the same time :slight_smile:

Damn, slept through it, forgot to set the alarm for 3:00am.
I had my viewing glasses and all ready......
Don't think I would have seen much, too dark... :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

The d man makes failing a work of art, I'll give him that.

AWOL:
Even a partial is pretty special - the ones I remember were just . . weird.

Weird. A good description. It dropped about 10° F in about 30 minutes. We had a nice reddish glow from forest fire smoke to go with our midday darkness. Before and after we had a moderate gusty wind. During it was dead still.