ATmega4809 in DIP

I don't know whether y'all heard over here, but Microchip has released a version of the ATmega4809 in a DIP40 package. You lose a 8 pins (All of PORTB and part of PORTC - notably, USART3 :frowning: ), but it has certain advantages.

It's been added to my spreadsheet

And I put together this cute little thing that's supposed to take care of the "necessary" components.

20190516_170027.jpg

I don't know whether y'all heard over here, but Microchip has released a version of the ATmega4809 in a DIP40 package. You lose a 8 pins (All of PORTB and part of PORTC - notably, USART3 :frowning: ), but it has certain advantages.

It's been added to my spreadsheet

And I put together this cute little thing that's supposed to take care of the "necessary" components.

20190516_170027.jpg

PS: I'm never doing that again. What a PITN!

PCBs for a "neater" solution...

It blinks! (Not using the Arduino IDE yet, but with MPLAB-X and and PICKit4 programmer.)
This confirms that the chip can be programmed using the UPDI pin, even without the programmer having access to RESET. Which is good - you'd have to try really hard to lock yourself out completely. (that also probably means that the pullup I have on RESET isn't needed, and that RESET can be re-used pretty easily as GPIO.)

The socket doesn't fit quite as securely in a protoboard as I'd like. I'm not quite sure whether that's because the pins are just too short, or because of the TH leads poking out the bottom.