MCP79412 Real-Time Clock/Calendar breakout board

I have listed my MCP79412 Real-Time Clock/Calendar breakout board as a Fundraiser on Tindie.

I am hand-assembling the boards in batches. Once the Fundraiser minimum is met, I will order boards and parts. Check the Updates section on Tindie for current status.

The Microchip MCP79412 RTCC offers several advantages over other low-cost real-time clocks. Among these are on-chip calibration, dual alarms, power fail/restore timestamps, 64-bit unique ID, 128 bytes EEPROM, 64 bytes battery-backed SRAM, power supply 1.8 - 5.5V, I2C clock frequency to 400kHz.

I have written an Arduino library to support the MCP79412, which is available on github. (For other applications, the MCP79412 uses a standard I2C interface.) This is an open-source project (CC BY-SA), please see my blog post for code, Eagle files, and additional information.

this looks like a decent project
what's in it for "investors"?
compared say to KickStarter?

Library looks very well written and much effort put in!

mmcp42:
this looks like a decent project
what's in it for "investors"?
compared say to KickStarter?

Fundraisers on Tindie are just a way to test the market and raise money up front to produce a product. It's really a pre-order, as opposed to an investment. If I can sell an initial small batch of boards, then I plan to order a second batch, and sell them as a regular stocked product.

48X24X48X:
Library looks very well written and much effort put in!

Thank you very much! I had fun writing it and it seems to work well. I've sent RTCs to a couple people and I also have a local friend that has used them without complaint. A marketing manager from Microchip noticed my blog post and sent a note of appreciation :smiley:

aha that makes sense
good luck!

mmcp42:
aha that makes sense
good luck!

Thanks. Your question got me to thinking, so I lowered the price for the Fundraiser in recognition of the delay required to order boards, etc.

The Tindie Fundraiser was successful! PC boards and parts are ordered. I'm looking forward to building them and getting them to people to use as soon as I can.

I know that (at least) some of the orders came from members of this forum, so a special Thank You to those folks! There are still a couple boards left ... :smiley:

well done you!

I am interfacing Arduino due with MCP79412
I got this error , i configured MCP79412RTC lib also ....

Documents\Arduino\libraries\MCP79412RTC/MCP79412RTC.h:141: error: expected ')' before '' token
Documents\Arduino\libraries\MCP79412RTC/MCP79412RTC.h:141: error: expected ')' before '
' token
rtcSet1.pde: In function 'void setup()':
rtcSet1:26: error: 'setTime' was not declared in this scope
rtcSet1:29: error: request for member 'set' in '1074666080u', which is of non-class type 'Rtc*'
rtcSet1:29: error: 'now' was not declared in this scope
rtcSet1.pde: In function 'void loop()':
rtcSet1:34: error: 'now' was not declared in this scope
rtcSet1.pde: In function 'void printTime(time_t)':
rtcSet1:41: error: 'hour' was not declared in this scope
rtcSet1:42: error: 'minute' was not declared in this scope
rtcSet1:43: error: 'second' was not declared in this scope
rtcSet1:44: error: 'weekday' was not declared in this scope
rtcSet1:44: error: 'dayShortStr' was not declared in this scope
rtcSet1:46: error: 'day' was not declared in this scope
rtcSet1:47: error: 'month' was not declared in this scope
rtcSet1:47: error: 'monthShortStr' was not declared in this scope
rtcSet1:49: error: 'year' was not declared in this scope

slardprasad:
I am interfacing Arduino due with MCP79412
I got this error , i configured MCP79412RTC lib also ....

I don’t have a Due, but after a little research, I found that the Arduino Time library is not compatible with the Due. As you are aware, my library in turn depends on the Time library.

Please have a look at these forum threads:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,136843.0.html
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,136126.0.html

And the library here:

My library relies on data types (time_t, tmElements_t) and functions defined by the Arduino Time library. I’m afraid it would need to be rewritten to make it compatible with the Due. Sorry about that.

Amazing job! Congrats!
We have tested almost all the features of the library and they work very good. There is only one issue which we are not being able to solve, to set an alarm for date and time. We have tried all kind of combinations, but the alarm is never triggered.
Has any of you experience that?
Thanks in advance!