74HC4051 Multiplexer

Right you clever lot.

I using a D1 Mini on a project, and need to have 2 analogue inputs, so time to get my head round multiplexing.

The 2 inputs I will be using are battery voltage, and analogue input via a sound board (I'll switch them as required), I've done some digging and came across the 74HC4051 and order a couple of eBay.

However after more digging I keep finding references to it discontinued, is this an old chip, is there a better one I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance

Brian
:slight_smile:

@Brian.
When posting about a chip it is usually a good idea to post the datasheet link.

It may be discontinued but that is irrelevant if you can get your hands on it via eBay.
So what is your question ?
The datasheet is fairly straight forward. Did you not understand it ?

This page might interest you.
Leo..

raschemmel:
When posting about a chip it is usually a good idea to post the datasheet link.

That (circa 2008) link points to the CD4051 which arguably might be obsolete as it has poorer performance than the 74HC4051, though it will operate over a much wider voltage range.

Why would the 74HC4051 be discontinued? Perhaps due to few new applications with current applications using higher integration. But that 2017 TI datasheet specified all versions to be in ACTIVE production.

Thanks guys

I should have made it a bit clearer, this is a long term project and I'm having PCB made, I didn't want to find myself 6 months down the road not being able to purchase more :slight_smile:

Paul__B:
That (circa 2008) link points to the CD4051 which arguably might be obsolete as it has poorer performance than the 74HC4051, though it will operate over a much wider voltage range.

Paul, Maybe this was where I was getting confused

Wawa:
This page might interest you.
Leo..

Thanks Leo, yes I had seen this page in my many Google searches :slight_smile:

Regards

Brian

ukeventlighting:
I should have made it a bit clearer, this is a long term project and I'm having PCB made, I didn't want to find myself 6 months down the road not being able to purchase more.

Unfortunately there is no way to guarantee that a part will be available in the future, but a quick search of Mouser shows numerous manufacturers for the 74HC4051, so there would appear to be a decent demand for the part, and its unlikely all the manufacturers will go out of business or stop production (and if it appears they will, you should at least have enough warning to buy up a decent stock of parts).

As you can see from a simple Google search, there is no problem obtaining CD4051BE chips at the moment. While the 74HC4051 has advantages , it has disadvantages as well.

LOOK AT THE SUPPLY VOLTAGES !

CD4051BE

74HC4051

Define "Long term" .

What does that mean ?
(a month ?
6 months ?
1 year ?
6 years ?

How many chips do you need for crying out loud ?
You said you were making a PCB but didn't say you were designing a product for mass production.
Is that what you are doing ?
Isn't that something you should mention in your OP ?
Why can't you just buy what you need NOW and stop worrying about it ?
At $1.58/chip you could buy 30 of them for less than $50. If this is a 'long term' project you
can certainly afford the investment now to guarantee your project.
I really think this whole topic is academic. You could have ordered them already have them next week.

The 74HC logic family isn't going anywhere soon. Eventually lower voltage families will take over
like 74LVC and 74LCX.

Anyway the 4051 analog switch has many many alternative chips, some pin-compatible, with other
voltages, better specs, higher frequency, lower on-resistances, etc etc, analog switch chips are here to stay,
they are a basic building block.

Depending on the Arduino mini breakout, you get 6 or 8 analog inputs which you can use simultaneously. Since you would anyway have to connect the two devices to “something” ( a multiplexer chip or the mini , why not directly to the mini ?