Frustration as an engineer

I left nature photography c1980 and moved into electronics then programming etc. Best thing I ever did because I was heading for a life as a poor photographer with a crap job to support my habit, as mentioned above.

Instead I had about 20 years of working on stuff at above average wages, stuff I would almost have done for free. I did have a product on the market which helped but the combination of a frugal lifestyle and good wages allowed me to retire at 45 and "work" at the two things that float my boat, ie embedded electronics and nature photography.

Those who are still in the engineering field, but are making money by the truckloads, left Brazil

Your definition of "truckloads" may vary from ours, I'm actually doing some contract work for a Brazilian company right now at a vastly reduced rate because a) it's interesting and I don't really need the money (although it will allow me to buy a few toys I could otherwise not justify) and b) they can't afford to employ a "real" design house and I'd like to help them out a bit.

We discussed money the other day, I asked how much an EE would expect to get in Brazil and the answer was $2000, "A week?" I asked, no that was a month. Of course it's cheaper to live there so it's not a fair comparison but it's still a lot less than in the west.

We decided that things were back to front, I should move to Brazil and do work for companies in Oz/US/EU.

you should present a solution that appropriately fits a problem

Correct, the "problem" was living in the rat race, the "solution" for me was to drop out and hit the road. :slight_smile:

Rob