Cheap ws2811 strands, 50x12mm diffused, $20. Is it a deal?

Just wondering if I got a good deal or taken.

Here's the link.

So, it's a 50 strand string of LEDs running ws2811, and it works AMAZINGLY well on an Arduino Uno utilizing the FastLED library. The color in the are VERY good, the response time is good, and the colors are very vibrant.

Is this a good deal, did I get 'taken', or is this just an average string of LEDs?

Additionally, a 12v adapter hooked up to these 5v strings WILL indeed fry LEDs! Fortunately, I only roasted 4 of them and the other 46 are good to go. I guess I should have double-checked the DC adapter beforehand.

Waterproofed RGB display LEDs in leaded chains (I have a few) strings of 50 for US$20.

Seems a pretty standard price to me. You might get them cheaper on an eBay action - but it would not be easy!

are the leaded ones (ws2811) brighter than the surface mount ones (ws2812) ?

Asking me?

Can't say. The strings I have are actually the three wire interface version but I suspect the encapsulated ones are a little less bright due to the diffuser and encapsulation.

Ok cheers Paul, I do know that the WS2812B are slightly brighter than the WS2812 for the same current (I read that somewhere).. just after the brightest bang per buck

mcnobby:
are the leaded ones (ws2811) brighter than the surface mount ones (ws2812) ?

It's my understanding that strings of LEDs with the chip are called ws2811, but they're ws2812.

ws2811 are really JUST the chip that's in each pixel.

ws2812 is the ws2811 combined with the LED already as part of the unit.

The ws2812b is an upgrade to the ws2812 from a mechanical standpoint. The LED is closer to the chip, uses fewer connections between the LED and the chip, and is better at heat dissipation because of it.

The ws2812b is also supposedly brighter than the ws2812, but I have no idea because I'm not that deep into it yet to be able to make comparisons.

Sorry for any confusion, but that is also my understanding, exactly as you put it :slight_smile: