Arduino Tools, interest for a web portal?

I plan to make a web portal for arduino.
http://alexanderbrevig.com/hosting/arduinotools/
Beta design.

If anyone has ideas for something that should be added. Post here.

So far I plan to include:

• Libraries

• Repository

• Request

• Dependencies

• Information

• Glossary

• Parts List

• Circuit List

• FAQ

• Debugging

• Resources

• Projects

• Mentors

• Feedback

• Bugs

• Suggestions

This will ultimately be a collaboration project, kind of like a wiki, where you create a user, and can add to all categories via tools the site will provide.

What do you think? Is this worthwhile?

[edit]No functionality is implemented yet.[/edit]

A searchable database of circuits would be nice for someone like me (I have to lookup how to properly connect an LED :-[).

But that may not be appropriate on an "Arduino Tools" portal.

• Brian

I think that would be appropriate. Very much so.

I am still insecure of wiring/schematics myself.

[updated original post and website]

[edit]All content will be linked and serchable.[/edit]

A place for debugging tips may be good.

I don't like the Troubleshooting page here: it needs to be at least organized into Hardware and Software; it doesn't seem to be editable by the general population; there doesn't appear to be anything about debugging the Sketch (no tips about using Serial).

Just today I had a Sketch that used too much SRAM. It would run fine for a few loops and then start spitting out gibberish. It took me about two hours to realize what was wrong :'(. I'd like to pass that knowledge on but where is a good place?

• Brian

Yet another great idea! Will add that as well :slight_smile:

[edit]Added to original post and website[/edit]

I designed a new UserFeedback system.

When the cursor hover links, they will provide a description in a alphablended box.

the spanish section ;D

i could help

Hello!
First I want to warmly welcome the idea - a more organized and structured space will greatly benefit the community!

As I have (probably fairly good) experience designing and developing web based information systems, and maintaining a large Linux community site, and after looking at the initial design I have couple of questions :

• What will be the underlying technology - PHP, perl, java?
  • What people are expected to develop and maintain it?
  • Do you know the technology you will use (PHP?) or you want to learn while creating?

As such tool (the one you want to create) is absolutely needed now (my own opinion) you might fall into some basic traps. First - the pressure from users to develop and later improve it will be big. This means that it will take (most of) your time, and if you still continue with your other projects it soon might feel neglected to the crowd.
I allow myself to humbly suggest two things. Quickly find someone to help you, probably two or three people. And because the need for helpers will rise stick to well know technology - PHP might be the best choice. If PHP is chosen then don't invent a framework, but use one. Suggestions - http://www.codeigniter.com, it's fork http://www.kohanaphp.com, or something similar. The guys developing codeigniter develop a commercial product - ExpresionEngine, that they might provide for free to the community and it contains many ready modules - forum, blog, news, wiki, etc.
The design basically does not matter given the audience :).
If I am being off topic or unnecessary elaborate on well known truths I humbly beg you to please excuse me.

Hello!
First I want to warmly welcome the idea - a more organized and structured space will greatly benefit the community!

I agree! :slight_smile:

• What will be the underlying technology - PHP, perl, java?
  • What people are expected to develop and maintain it?
  • Do you know the technology you will use (PHP?) or you want to learn while creating?

I will use PHP, and I know it. (Although I expect to learn while creating as well. Never know it all)
I expect myself to maintain and develop it at first. But anyone willing will not be rejected.
[edit]Technologies:
PHP
HTML/CSS
JavaScript
MySQL[/edit]

As such tool (the one you want to create) is absolutely needed now (my own opinion) you might fall into some basic traps. First - the pressure from users to develop and later improve it will be big. This means that it will take (most of) your time, and if you still continue with your other projects it soon might feel neglected to the crowd.

A good point.
But I actually do not fear it becoming a problem.
[edit]Because I already spend a lot of time on the arduino, the forums and the playground. And will have no trouble spending it on this site instead or in addition. :slight_smile: Love the Arduino, and love contributing to the community.[/edit]

I allow myself to humbly suggest two things. Quickly find someone to help you, probably two or three people.

I will do that.

If PHP is chosen then don't invent a framework, but use one.

I will not do that. :slight_smile:
I've found that I spend equal or less amount of time just writing what I want by my self. Twaking or forcing someonelses code just does not suit me.
This way it will be easy to get what I want. And to add what I need.
At least, in my experience.
(Two obvious exceptions: Wikis and forums)

If I am being off topic or unnecessary elaborate on well known truths I humbly beg you to please excuse me.

Nono! A thorough reply.

[edit]Added an uglydesign way of indicating multiple languages.
http://alexanderbrevig.com/hosting/arduinotools/[/edit]

About the framework - it's up to you, and I personally feel that given the great amount of users, documentation and support in the PHP community it will be not so hard to move ahead.
I just referred to the framework issue as being important if the focus of your efforts is creating the community portal rather than fiddling with all the mundane tasks - the DB abstraction layer, user authentication, integration, web services, componentization, MVC abstraction etc.

And I can be of more help than only providing opinions :). Count me in.

Another suggestion: Find someone who's willing to be a technical editor. There's some great content on this site but, in my opinion, it needs to be better organized.

• Brian

I just got reminded that there's a thing I've forgot to mention.

This site will eventually get hosted on a dedicated .net / .com / .cc domain. Not my personal domain.

@Coding Badly: suggestion noted:)

if your comfortable with php I suggest using cakephp

it'll take a little long to set up, as with any framework; but from then on you'll be rolling much more efficiently.

I've never used cakephp before (only ruby on rails and django), so I might be interested in helping out as it would be a learning experience for me.

Repository Client w/o Edit.

Partial functionality. Feedback welcome :slight_smile: