arduino +100Mhz radio jammer

Some states have band RF ID tag implants in humans. What does the FCC have to say about that?

The FCC would be totally silent on the human rights issues to do with that, and the medical ethics and medical technicalities of performing the necessary procedures. But somewhere in their regs they'll cover the radio-related technicalities such as frequencies and powers that such devices may use. They might even remain silent on referring to a device called a "RF ID tag", but the transmission of any radio frequencies in the whole of the RF spectrum is covered by the FCC's regs and therefore so are RF ID tags, even if they don't name them as such.

So what was the point of your question?

There are ISM bands that are unregulated. This is commonly the 2.4GHz band and the 915MHz band in the Unites States. There may be others but it is not something I worry about too much. This is why pace makers are always a concern around microwaves etc. RFID operates in these unregulated bands.
A state banning implanted RFID is adding restriction on top of federal restrictions. There is nothing wrong with that. What a state cannot do is allow what the government does not allow.

The FCC may issue a permit that waives the law for private use.

And that would be their prerogative: it's their law after all.

But that's not the same as a State waiving a Federal law; it's not their prerogative to do that since a Feds trump the State.

S_Flex:

The FCC can do nearly anything it wants within it's mandate as codified in federal law. So what is point, that you will be asking and expecting the FCC for a permit to operate your FM broadcast jammer? I didn't think so.

One can operate a FM transmitter of a certain low power limit (covered I think by FCC part 15 rules, 100mw or less?) without prior permit or license. However if that ends up interfering with your next door house's FM reception and they complain to the FCC and if their is nothing wrong with their FM receiver the FCC will come knocking on your door to stop you from transmitting your part 15 device.

Lefty

Stop wasting your time folks. Those of us that hold several FCC licenses, myself being Amateur Extra Class as well as GROL+RADAR, as well as being a COLEM and VEC, obviously know nothing about communications regulations and the OP is the world expert on all things communications related.

FCC not enforcing jamming regulations?

FCC Cites Online Retailers for Marketing Illegal Jamming Devices | Federal Communications Commission http://urgentcomm.com/policy_and_law/news/fcc-cell-jamming-enforcement-20111013 http://www.marcus-spectrum.com/Blog/files/EBjammerenf.html

Stick those in your "wiki"

As for RFID devices, the FCC regulates the RF part of the device. They have nothing to do with whether or not someone can implant an RFID device in the human body.

The ISM bands ARE regulated under part 15 of the FCC regulations. In the early 1990's the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) allowed using three of the ISM bands for unlicensed communication equipment. These three ISM bands are:

902 to 928 MHz
2.400 to 2.4835 GHz
5.725 to 5.875 GHz

In the United States the use of these bands for communication purposes is regulated by part 15 of the FCC rules. These regulations cover such things as maximum transmitter input power for mobile as well as point-to-point communications.

In the early 1990's the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) allowed using three of the ISM bands for unlicensed communication equipment.

Yes but the regulations do not allow operation of home built transmitters in these bands, all transmitters must be "type approved" it is only the operation that does not require a license.

So let's see if the OP has got any balls.
Email the FCC with what you are proposing to do and see what they say.

Jamming or causing "Willful Interference" to another radio signal for any reason has always been illegal.
IT is also illegal to unintentionally jam any radio transmission for any reason.
There are exceptions to the law but the applicable scope is so narrow that they aren't worth mentioning.

I am getting great chuckles that anyone over the age of 10 years of age would except what is said on any Wiki page when it comes to laws. I do not think the I read on Wiki-XYZ would be a very strong defense, at least not strong enough to bet on.

But hey go for it! You could be setting precedents and if not you may get to meet a bunch of people that you normally don't in your normal walks of life.

I except most of what is on the net until I do checking, except for certain sites which I do accept.

Best let him make the jammer. Then who ever he is jamming can report him to the FCC and they can argue it from their.

He still hasn't said why he wants to jam FM stations. I suspect it is to stop some one in his house receiving it, which is not very nice is it?

Grumpy_Mike:
You want to block FM radio from being received in your house. I assume that you just don't want your kids listning to that evil rock and roll music.

I think you meant to say Justin Beiber and clones.

greywolf271:

Grumpy_Mike:
You want to block FM radio from being received in your house. I assume that you just don't want your kids listning to that evil rock and roll music.

I think you meant to say Justin Beiber and clones.

Or depending on the politics of the person receiving either NPR or talk radio.

Yes but basically it is some one trying to impose his will on some one else. Reason will not persuade them and as this person is in the same household the OP wants to resort to technical measures. So basically he is denying the freedom of the other person. It seems like he is keen not to be a slave but keen to impose slavery on others.

It seems like he is keen not to be a slave but keen to impose slavery on others.

I wouldn't be so sure as to goals being totally as stated. We just had another thread about jammers and EMP devices. It might be the same ado/post-ado. I guess it's safer than making bombs....

This is the "Project Guidance" section, so if I picked the wrong band to mess with jamming to learn from then tell me. Dont jump on my case because you dont know US laws or how the country's laws work.

A lot of you are more bent out of shape on RF bands than realizing that some home made circuit's can also outputting interference. How many of you test every circuit you build? 5% of the people on this forum actually test for that, or less?
If the FCC went around checking interference they would find appliances shorting out in homes producing interference. Your PC is one program away from being a jammer, yes its that easy!

Yes they know I have a brass set and the one is bigger then the other two.

S_Flex, you picked the wrong band to mess with jamming to learn from.
I just thought I'd tell you.

S_Flex:
If the FCC went around checking interference they would find appliances shorting out in homes producing interference. Your PC is one program away from being a jammer, yes its that easy!

Just because devices that can be combined and used for illegal actions are freely available, it does not mean those actions suddenly stop being illegal.

Dont jump on my case because you dont know US laws or how the country's laws work.

Are you joking or just stupid?

http://www.fcc.gov/search/results/jamming.
When you can find laws prohibiting sales of such devices with body text that says

Signal jamming devices pose significant risks to public safety and potentially
compromise other radio communications services.

Then you should be able to figure out that building your own is not an 'out'. Whether you buy or build you own gun, if you shoot someone it counts.

Your examples/exceptions are a joke BTW.

If I caused enough interference to be noticed, the FCC would let me know and fine me. That's not guesswork either. My circuits don't run enough power to compete with my open-box PC and it doesn't cause noticeable interference to my TV or radio.
There is such a thing as proportion and in the case of interference it has to reach far enough to be detected to matter. You don't seem to know the difference between what matters and what does not.

Will your jammer be so short-ranged as a normal PC, or short in an appliance or some low power Arduino project I make? Or will it be powerful to jam FM radio signals at any useful distance?

"Mommy I want a cookie."
"Not until you eat your food."
"But cookies ARE food!"