CodeBlocks Arduino IDE, the out-of-box Arduino IDE for demanding developers

CodeBlocks Arduino Edition is a customized distribution of the open-source Code::Blocks IDE which I enhanced for Arduino software development. It provides more demanding software developers with a more powerful IDE for writing, navigating around, building and managing source codes for Arduino development. By adding a dedicated project wizard, it's very easy create an Arduino project that is ready to be built. The distribution integrates Arduino 1.0 core files, libraries, toolchains, firmware downloader, serial terminal and some other useful utilities.

For more information, changelog and download, please head for the project homepage.

Features:

• dedicated project wizard for Arduino development
  • simplified UI appearance of CodeBlocks IDE
  • integrated Arduino core files and libraries
  • integrated pre-configured AVR compiler toolchain
  • integrated AVRDUDE for uploading (Flash and EEPROM) via USB or programmer
  • integrated advanced serial terminal and programmer utility
  • various Arduino boards supported as build targets

Screenshots:

Can I use this IDE to develop code for the (any) Arduino, but not using the Arduino libraries and basic 'language'??

• perhaps only reuse some pin definition files etc.

Thanx,
Marc

Looks very good! has definitely some features people ask for.

Missing on the todo list: - (better) serial monitor?

Is this a fork, or will this go back to the main project as some sort of wizard?

You definitely can do this. After project creation, you will see all the arduino core files included in the project. You can remove them and write you own main().

obiwanjacobi:
Can I use this IDE to develop code for the (any) Arduino, but not using the Arduino libraries and basic 'language'??

• perhaps only reuse some pin definition files etc.

Thanx,
Marc

Yes. I will add it to the list.
Actually I will look for a good open-source serial terminal and integrate it in. Suggestions welcomed!

robtillaart:
Missing on the todo list: - (better) serial monitor?

I will be happy if the devs of CodeBlocks include my arduino wizard into the main distribution.
However, in order to make it fully standalone and out-of-box, without the need for setting up compiler and arduino core/library files, as well as to let arduino developer to have a neater look of the IDE, I need to customize CodeBlocks somehow. So I am going to maintain a distribution and update it regularly.

madworm:
Is this a fork, or will this go back to the main project as some sort of wizard?

Does your version of Code::Blocks runs on Linux ?

I download codeblocks-arduino-20120228.7z and I see many *.exe files ?

I just updated some screenshots and you can see it works on ubuntu.
But I haven't time to release a distribution for Linux. You can add the project wizard to a installed Code::Blocks on Linux. All the project wizard files are available in SVN.

Merci je vais l'essayer (thanks I will try it)

Interesting, which tool chain are you using?

This is a really great project, well done and thank you!

Could you do a basic tutorial about how to configure it all , at least to do a basic blink sketch from a new install, for those that never used it ?!? PLEASE?!? It is a wicked share and i really thank you in advance !
Im asking this cause i tried but having errors (wmath coming up with errors, but i guess its some underlying issue im not aware of)

Awesome, I remember looking for this and thinking about starting something like this a couple of years ago. Great work (at least it looks like it).

Just a couple of suggestions, please keep it as a set of plugins and don't completely fork. It is great to have a distobution aready configured but please seperate what is arduino specific and keep that in your repos and contribute IDE related things back to the main code-blocks repo. It will ensure both projects are helping each other.

And just for refrence, I like to use QtCreator (fantastic IDE) and I just use GNU screen as my serial monitor.

Kevin

Just tell you guys I have just released an update for the Arduino IDE based on CodeBlocks. For more information and download, please head for: CodeBlocks Arduino IDE | ArduinoDev.com

YES>>>YES>>>>YES>>>> Thanks a lot !!
Seems to at least compile basic blink sketch this time out of the box...
But as soon as i included a Liquidcrystal library says its not declared ?!? I posted on your forum, by the way ...
The simulator will be a top add on no doubt !!

It's fixed and I released an update

I downloaded and installed CodeBlocks-Arduino-20120525.7z from Sourceforge, but I could not get it to load a sketch. If I used File->Open it started the Arduino IDE and opened the sketch there . If I tried File->Import there is no Arduino sketch option. Is there some setup I need to do, or do you need to start the sketch in Codeblocks? Tools->Ardlibrary caused an error message. Settings->Environment->File extension handling listed .pde under registered wildcards, whatever that means.
Jim

You need to use code blocks as an editor, if tha is what you means... It opens a default example ( the blinky) sketch , so it shows you a basic example. so just replace the code with what you want... Mind you, that the basic libraries might need to be defined if you wanna use them ( like liquid crystal, etc).
Just create new project, arduino and then follow the instructions of the wizard...

PS- Once again thanks for the brilliant work in this...Has brought me much closer to a better knowledge of all the intricacies of it all !

How does it handle non-Arduino chips, like the ATMega324/644/1284 family of parts?
Can it do two serial interfaces at one time?