MKR1000 Technical Information

I am one of the 1000 who was selected to get an MKR1000 for my submission to the "Worlds Largest Arduino Maker Challenge" contest sponsored by Hackster.io and Microsoft. I was planning to use the MKR1000 for the project once I receive it but there is little to no technical information on the board (schematics for example) as it is so new and not officially released. When and where can I get the needed information in order for me to design and build my project? This includes support in the Arduino IDE as well as the full schematic and technical specifications.

Thank you for your time and for making it possible for so many to be able to participate in designing cost effective and interesting solutions to many problems and needs.

Mark

I've received it, so if you want i can send you a picture. But I don't know how to program it!

You received yours?
I am still waiting for mine.
If you can, can you send the photos to tianlye@hotmail.com?
Thanks

Did they email you to arrange delivery as in the mail?

Would someone be kind enough to tell the rest of us what an MKR1000 is?

Please post a link to the datasheet.

...R

The Arduino MKR1000 is the newest board from Arduino that combines the Arduino Zero and the Wi-Fi Shield in one board. So, you're able to connect your Arduino through Wi-Fi (including a Cryptochip for secure communication).

I've got my MKR1000 today, but currently there are no further informations available (the board is not officially released, yet).

See also World’s Largest Arduino Maker Challenge - Hackster.io

Thanks for the link. After experiencing the mess they made of the Yun I will happily give this one a miss.

...R

Received my MKR1000 today.

I have not received access to the special MKR1000 forum yet, so I looked around a bit how I can use the board today, now!

I use linux. When I plugged the board in, the kernel recognized it as /dev/ttyACM8
Next step is to install support for the board using boards manager in Arduino. Search for MKR1000 and install it.
(In the folder where the board support is installed seem to be also drivers for windows.)

Next I tried to make the onboard led flash with a different frequency. The onboard led pin is defined as PIN_LED.
The blink example compiled and flashed and worked!

In the Libraries Manager I see the following libraries available for the MKR1000: AudioZero, RTCZero, WiFi101, AzureIoT and AudioFrequencyMeter.

Next I will try to get the WiFi going.

Installed the WiFi101 library and tried the SimpleWebServerWiFi example that comes with it.
I changed the ssid, password to match my wifi. Also changed the led pin from 9 in the example to PIN_LED.

It worked on the first try!

The MKR1000 seems a nice board.

@Bubs_man I've received the e-mail from Arduino. They don't want me to send any picture because it's a beta and pinout will probably change...

@AndrewLindenGood job! I've tried to compile but I was only cabable to erase it. Later I'll try your methods :slight_smile:

ciaomanuhello:
@Bubs_man I've received the e-mail from Arduino. They don't want me to send any picture because it's a beta and pinout will probably change...

@AndrewLindenGood job! I've tried to compile but I was only cabable to erase it. Later I'll try your methods :slight_smile:

I received the email too, and from what I understand they just don't want people tagging Hackster or Arduino if they do post pictures (Their thinking about Twitter I assume.. ?)

Hi everyone, mine has arrived and I've been tearing my hair out trying to get my serial ports to work. Usually with my UNO there are 4 serial ports - 2 USB and 2 Bluetooth - since updating the IDE to 1.6.7 there are 2 - 1 USB, 1 Bluetooth. The UNO is still working thank God, but when I plug the MKR1000 in, lights flash, but I can't upload to the board. This seems to be because there is only 1 serial port option for it, which is Bluetooth! Also, I installed the new libraries mentioned above.

I would appreciate any suggestions to do with how to change the serial port, and connect the MKR1000!

-thanks

@SpikeSmall
Serial should work off the bat. Just put in Serial.begin(9600); and Serial.println("Ready"); in setup. Serial pins are 13(RX) and 14(TX). You can use a normal UART-to-serial to read from them or the USB

This is a basic blink and serial sketch (using the onboard LED) just make sure to update your boards files
void setup() {
pinMode(6, OUTPUT);
Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
digitalWrite(6, HIGH); // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
Serial.println("On");
delay(1000); // wait for a second
digitalWrite(6, LOW); // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
Serial.println("Off");
delay(1000); // wait for a second
}

Sorry, I don't think I explained well enough, but this is what I mean:

Oooh... looks like a driver issue. I dont have a mac, and I'm not great with them but it looks like its reading it as a USB modem, you might need to install the drivers, they should've come with the board update from the other day.

AndrewLinden:
Installed the WiFi101 library and tried the SimpleWebServerWiFi example that comes with it.
I changed the ssid, password to match my wifi. Also changed the led pin from 9 in the example to PIN_LED.

It worked on the first try!

The MKR1000 seems a nice board.

Can you send me the code? my board seems to keep the wifi off :frowning:

#include <SPI.h>
#include <WiFi.h>

char ssid[] = "yourNetwork";         // your network SSID (name)
char key[] = "yourPassword";        // your network key
int keyIndex = 0;                          // your network key Index number
int status = WL_IDLE_STATUS;      // the Wifi radio's status

void setup() {
   //Initialize serial and wait for port to open:
   Serial.begin(9600);
   while (!Serial) {
     ; // wait for serial port to connect. Needed for Leonardo only
   }

// check for the presence of the shield:
   if (WiFi.status() == WL_NO_SHIELD) {
     Serial.println("WiFi shield not present");
     // don't continue:
     while (true);
   }

// attempt to connect to Wifi network:
   while ( status != WL_CONNECTED) {
     Serial.print("Attempting to connect to WEP network, SSID: ");
     Serial.println(ssid);
     status = WiFi.begin(ssid, keyIndex, key);

// wait 10 seconds for connection:
     delay(10000);
   }

// once you are connected :
   Serial.print("You're connected to the network");
}

void loop() {
   // check the network status connection once every 10 seconds:
   delay(10000);
  Serial.println(WiFi.status());
}

it Always return: WiFi shield not present

SpikeSmall:
Sorry, I don't think I explained well enough, but this is what I mean:

Got it working on my MacBook Air and iMac, both running stock Mavericks. It seems as if your system is not recognising the driver of the device.

Mine is running happily, wifi working right of the bat too.

Ah, thanks for your help! I already installed the new board software/ide update, but ill keep looking around!

Got mine working on Windows 8.1, so if it helps anyone:
Note that in addition to installing the board via the boards manager, you also have to install a driver. The driver is not included in the latest IDE installation (1.6.7), so you will have to download the hourly build version from here: https://www.arduino.cc/download.php?f=/arduino-nightly-windows.zip
After you unzip the file, go to device manager, and under "other devices" you will see an unknown device. Right click it and choose "update driver", choose "browse my computer..." and point it under the folder you just unzipped to "\arduino-nightly\drivers". After that your board should appear under "ports".
I think you can now delete the hourly build folder and continue using the latest 1.6.7 release.

In the library manager in the arduino IDE (sketch -> include library -> manage libraries) you can enter "mkr1000" in the search filter to see what libraries are available. I installed Wifi101 and AzureIoT, but I did not have a chance to try them yet. Next thing I plan to try is the sample described here

Hope it helps

Anybody have any issues with the WiFi101? I can't get any sketch with it to work.

Tried checking the wifi firmware version with the default example and it comes back with

WiFi101 firmware check.

WiFi101 shield: