Arduino Yun and WiFi - need help getting started

Farmboy:
On my work laptop I got different responses when I ping'ed. Usually just a "general failure" or "Request Timed Out", but one time I got a "Destination Host Unreachable" 3 times, then a "Request Timed Out" the 4th time. It doesn't seem to matter if I've got my MiFi connected or not.

That's one of the lower OSI layers, i.e. depending on, say, humidity, the radio transmission/receiving layer might be goofy; it has nothing to do with your problem.

kind regards,

Jos

Farmboy, in none of your posts you say you've connected your laptop wifi to the wifi created by the Yun.

When you're working with Yun's own wifi, your mifi router or whatever other thing is around you has nothing to do with you. It's only your laptop and your yun

Can you connect your laptop to the yun's wifi? (Arduino Yun-ABC...)

That's the reason why I suggested to switch the entire thing off; I don't believe that a fresh out of th e box Yun (or decently reset) can cause so much trouble; it has to have something to do with the laptop.

kind regards,

Jos

Hi Frederico, thanks for the help.

I can get my laptop to recognize the Yun, when I show my "Networks" it lists my MiFi and the Arduino Yun - 90A2DAXXXXX. But it does not connect. I click on "Connect" for the Yun and it comes back with a "Can't connect to this Network" response.

When it shows the list of Networks, the MiFi shows the signal strength bars, and the Yun shows the same signal strength bars but with a little shield with a ! in the shield above the bars. Is that an indicator? This is on Windows 8.0.

I'm just working with my personal laptop, I have to make it work with this anyway.

Thanks.

Dean

Farmboy:
I'm just working with my personal laptop, I have to make it work with this anyway.

Plan B: We could use sharing wifi connection over Ethernet.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=188101.msg1641915#msg1641915

a little shield with a !

means laptop and yun is not at same subnet, could make them at same subnet.

Windows 7/8 static IP address setup

Click the Start button, then click Control Panel.
Open the Network and Sharing Center.
Select "Change adapter settings" from the menu on the left.
Right-click the Local Area Connection and selet "Properties".
Select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP / IPv4)," then click "Properties."
Select 'Use the following IP address,' then enter the following settings in their respective fields:

• IP address: 192.168.240.2
  • Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
  • Gateway and DNS: leave blank
    Click 'OK' when finished.

Farmboy:
When it shows the list of Networks, the MiFi shows the signal strength bars, and the Yun shows the same signal strength bars but with a little shield with a ! in the shield above the bars. Is that an indicator? This is on Windows 8.0.

I don't run MS Windows 8, but that shield icon must be there for some reason; does any text pop up when you hover over it? Can you right-click on the network line and get its properties?

kind regards,

Jos

Thanks, but if Ethernet means a wired connection then it's a no go. This application has to be wireless. And I bought a Yun precisely for the WiFi capability. I need to solve this problem.

The question seems to be this: What WiFi settings on my laptop would prevent Yun from connecting?

Thanks anyway.

Dean

access point connection failed - windows cannot resolve your wireless connectivity issue and problem with wireless adapter or access point.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/internet-connection-failed-router-access-point/ff07b1d5-a29a-466f-a265-4d70073d6d30

Official solution

an other side coin is Yun also could give problem.

Most easy solution is:-

/usr/bin/reset-to-factory-anyway

Backup your code first ( if you have some).

Jos, when I hover over the bars/shield I don't get anything other than "Security: Unsecured" and "Type 802.11n" I presume that a Yun at level 802.11n is compatible with my MiFi/laptop at 802.11g?

Sonny, I ran through your steps, but I don't have a LAN option, just Bluetooth, Ethernet, and WiFi. I changed the WiFi settings per your instructions but that didn't work either. And I think it screwed up my MiFi, it quit after that so I changed it back.

So should I have a LAN connection listed?

And is the 192.168.240.2 that you listed correct? Or should it be 192.168.240.1 like the instructions suggest?

Thanks,

Dean

Farmboy:
Thanks, but if Ethernet means a wired connection then it's a no go. This application has to be wireless.

Nobody mentioned anything about wires ...

kind regards,

Jos

Farmboy:
Sonny, I ran through your steps, but I don't have a LAN option, just Bluetooth, Ethernet, and WiFi. I changed the WiFi settings per your instructions but that didn't work either. And I think it screwed up my MiFi, it quit after that so I changed it back.

So should I have a LAN connection listed?

And is the 192.168.240.2 that you listed correct? Or should it be 192.168.240.1 like the instructions suggest?

You are right, change WiFi settings. You changed it back is good since It does not work.
No LAN is here.

192.168.240.2 for Windows box.
192.168.240.1 for Yun.

If you have access an other laptop, should give it try. otherwise follow Microsoft solution.

reset-to-factory-anyway will fix software problem of Yun, unless Yun has hardware problem is very unlikely.

Sonny, do I run that /usr/bin/reset-to-factory-anyway via the Serial Monitor to reset it to factory? I tried that a couple times.

Now my laptop is recognizing the Yun, but still can't connect. I have Kaspersky security turned off.

What is different now is that the WLAN blue LED on the YUN is blinking constantly at a fast rate, maybe 2-3 per second.

Jos, just saw your most recent post. I thought Ethernet was a cable connection? Please explain. Ultimately what I need is a wireless connection from my laptop to many Yuns that are remote, using a wireless (WiFi) network hub. Can that be done by Ethernet?

Dean

Thanks for all the help. I have to go to work now, so will be unavailable till tonight.

Dean

Farmboy:
Jos, when I hover over the bars/shield I don't get anything other than "Security: Unsecured" and "Type 802.11n" I presume that a Yun at level 802.11n is compatible with my MiFi/laptop at 802.11g?

That's no problem; your laptop even noticed that Yun's network is 'open', i.e. no WPA or WEP key are necessary. Can you right click on that network and see all it properties?

kind regards,

Jos

Thanks Jos. No, I it doesn't show anything with a right click. The MiFi gives me a menu of items to look at, but not the YUN.

Dean

When I went into the WiFi properties as Sonny described I noticed there is a dialog box for Network where I selected the Internet protocol version 4, and there also is a box for "Sharing" along with the "Networking" box. Could this be a sharing issue? There is a selection that says "Allow other network users to connect through this computers network connection" and it was unchecked. Another item on that menu was to "Allow other network users to control or disable the shared internet connection". It was checked, but was faded until I checked the box to all other network users, seeming to indicate it isn't active until I allowed sharing.

I tried checking that box to allow other users and it didn't change the ability to connect for my YUN.

Thanks,

Dean

2 euros this is the reason: http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/19310-unable-connect-network-no-security.html

In essence: windows does not allow you to connect to an unprotected network for security reasons. Workaround is "to change over to using a Public network"

if It works, It should be 2 pounds (£). $)