Arduino Yun and WiFi - need help getting started

Farmboy:
Thanks, but if Ethernet means a wired connection then it's a no go. This application has to be wireless.

Nobody mentioned anything about wires ...

kind regards,

Jos

Farmboy:
Sonny, I ran through your steps, but I don't have a LAN option, just Bluetooth, Ethernet, and WiFi. I changed the WiFi settings per your instructions but that didn't work either. And I think it screwed up my MiFi, it quit after that so I changed it back.

So should I have a LAN connection listed?

And is the 192.168.240.2 that you listed correct? Or should it be 192.168.240.1 like the instructions suggest?

You are right, change WiFi settings. You changed it back is good since It does not work.
No LAN is here.

192.168.240.2 for Windows box.
192.168.240.1 for Yun.

If you have access an other laptop, should give it try. otherwise follow Microsoft solution.

reset-to-factory-anyway will fix software problem of Yun, unless Yun has hardware problem is very unlikely.

Sonny, do I run that /usr/bin/reset-to-factory-anyway via the Serial Monitor to reset it to factory? I tried that a couple times.

Now my laptop is recognizing the Yun, but still can't connect. I have Kaspersky security turned off.

What is different now is that the WLAN blue LED on the YUN is blinking constantly at a fast rate, maybe 2-3 per second.

Jos, just saw your most recent post. I thought Ethernet was a cable connection? Please explain. Ultimately what I need is a wireless connection from my laptop to many Yuns that are remote, using a wireless (WiFi) network hub. Can that be done by Ethernet?

Dean

Thanks for all the help. I have to go to work now, so will be unavailable till tonight.

Dean

Farmboy:
Jos, when I hover over the bars/shield I don't get anything other than "Security: Unsecured" and "Type 802.11n" I presume that a Yun at level 802.11n is compatible with my MiFi/laptop at 802.11g?

That's no problem; your laptop even noticed that Yun's network is 'open', i.e. no WPA or WEP key are necessary. Can you right click on that network and see all it properties?

kind regards,

Jos

Thanks Jos. No, I it doesn't show anything with a right click. The MiFi gives me a menu of items to look at, but not the YUN.

Dean

When I went into the WiFi properties as Sonny described I noticed there is a dialog box for Network where I selected the Internet protocol version 4, and there also is a box for "Sharing" along with the "Networking" box. Could this be a sharing issue? There is a selection that says "Allow other network users to connect through this computers network connection" and it was unchecked. Another item on that menu was to "Allow other network users to control or disable the shared internet connection". It was checked, but was faded until I checked the box to all other network users, seeming to indicate it isn't active until I allowed sharing.

I tried checking that box to allow other users and it didn't change the ability to connect for my YUN.

Thanks,

Dean

2 euros this is the reason: http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/19310-unable-connect-network-no-security.html

In essence: windows does not allow you to connect to an unprotected network for security reasons. Workaround is "to change over to using a Public network"

if It works, It should be 2 pounds (£). $)

I switched over to a public network and still nothing. It recognizes the Yun, but won't connect.

Do I need a Windows 8 driver update?

Dean

sonnyyu:
access point connection failed - windows cannot resolve your wireless connectivity issue and problem with wireless adapter or access point.

Redirecting

Official solution

Step 1: You may also temporarily disable security software’s and check if the issue persists. Make sure to enable those security software's on the computer after checking.

Step 2: Update the network adapter driver.

Step 3: Check if the issue persists in clean boot state.

Step 4: Check if you are able to access internet in safe mode with networking and post back the same.

Your laptop maker and model?

Samsung NP350V5C-A01US

What do you mean by "clean boot state"?

Thanks,

Dean

Farmboy:
Jos, when I hover over the bars/shield I don't get anything other than "Security: Unsecured" and "Type 802.11n" I presume that a Yun at level 802.11n is compatible with my MiFi/laptop at 802.11g?

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/pcs/NP350V5C-A01US-specsWireless LAN
Your Laptop support
Wireless LAN: 802.11 b/g/n

Farmboy:
What do you mean by "clean boot state"?

Thanks,

Dean

Step 3: Check if the issue persists in clean boot state.

Putting your system in clean boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

Try the steps provided under Step 1 in the below article to put your computer in clean boot mode.

Farmboy, btw: your project has to work over wifi an that's ok, but I think you may accept to first configure the yun via ethernet, don't you?
Once your yun will be configured to access your home wifi, you won't be affected by this windows issue

That would be acceptable Frederico! I just didn't know that was possible or necessary. But I don't know how to do that.

Would Ethernet be essentially a LAN solution that I could use instead of internet? My project wouldn't necessarily require access other than locally, I am planning on using the laptop to communicate with many Yuns over a WiFi Hub so I can reach out over a wider area.

I tried the "Clean Boot" this morning, now I can't get the Laptop to even recognize the YUN. What the heck?

I'll look for a "getting started" guide on Yun Ethernet, or if you can get me started that would be great.

Dean

sonnyyu:
If you have access an other laptop, should give it try.

find out which one is trouble maker, Windows or Yun.

sonnyyu:

sonnyyu:
If you have access an other laptop, should give it try.

find out which one is trouble maker, Windows or Yun.

Assuming it's a fresh Yun (or with a properly reset WiFi), my guess is MS Windows 8 is the trouble maker; if it's true that it doesn't want to connect to an open network, I find it preposterous.

kind regards,

Jos