Coordinates of an object on a passive image

I have a few questions regarding a project I'm working on. I need some terms so that I can look it up via Google.

I have a map (picture) of a city that is printed on a wooden table. When I move an object directly over it I want to know the coordinates of the object on the map. And also the angle of the object on the map.

I thought a sort of a scanner is the best solution. That recognizes the part which it scans (part of the map) and translate this to the coordinates and angle. Does somebody know how this technology is called (and maybe a few links to guide me in the right direction)? Or does somebody else has a better idea how this can me realised?

Thanks in advance!

If the map is not "zoom-able", so it "imprinted" once and forever on desk table, and wood AFAIK not shrinkable material, that task to get coordinate of object simply transform to "location" . A lot depends on resolution and active / passive tracking approach, which sensors would work best, IR, RF, ultrasound, or simple array of hall sensors under the desk with a magnet attache to the object.

Magician:
If the map is not "zoom-able", so it "imprinted" once and forever on desk table, and wood AFAIK not shrinkable material, that task to get coordinate of object simply transform to "location" . A lot depends on resolution and active / passive tracking approach, which sensors would work best, IR, RF, ultrasound, or simple array of hall sensors under the desk with a magnet attache to the object.

Thanks for the quick reply. It is not zoom-able. It is printed on the wood as a fixed image. The object has a screen. I want to display a certain image on this screen depending where it at on the map. So if I move it on the map it shows a different image depending the location. The angle if because of the design. The cursor is on a transparant piece, so the scanner can't be in that place. So I need the coordinates of the scanner plus the angle so it can recalculate it. It doesn't really need that be preciese. It shows different images around each 3 cm or so. I rather have all the technology in the object than in the table itself (if that is possible). Can you help me out with that? Thanks for your time!

I rather have all the technology in the object than in the table itself (if that is possible)

This complicate a things, if no ground - based "beacon" allowed, than object in position of old 16-century astronomer, with only visual sensory (telescope ?) at hands.
To get angle, compass unit will work ( I presume , it's on the Earth, and magnetic field exist -);
To directly obtain a visual location , I'm afraid would be above computational power desktop PC, but all depends on map detalization.
Can you print some "marks" to help a unit ?
Indirect way, I'd measure the distance to the walls, if let say map on the floor and I need locate myself in the room. Combining compass and distance data would give a position.

The last option seems possible, I will look into that.

I had an idea, I don't know if this is possible. Is it possible to create a grid with RFID tags. And put a RFID scanner in the frame. Is there a problem with interference? How close can two RFID be next to each other? I want to chips to be about 3 to 5 cm from each other, is this possible?