Programmer not responding

Hi,

I recently bought a new computer, so I had to install Arduino again. As a start, to test if everything properly working or not, I was trying to program my UNO with Blink. But I am getting following Output:Arduino: 1.6.5 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Arduino Uno"

Sketch uses 1,030 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.

Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc1

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc1

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc1

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc1

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc1

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc1

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc1

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc1

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc1

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc1

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.

I am using Win8.1 64bit with Arduino Uno R3

I am also having same error, so if you have found the solution then please inform ..

Thanks

I'm having the exact same problem. I tried rebooting my laptop and reinstalling the program. Hasn't fixed it yet.

Could you all try the loop-back test, linked can be found at the top of this sub-forum, and let me know the outcome.

What am I overlooking? Cannot find the link to the loop-back test at the top...

You mean the one labelled Loop-back test instructions?

Yes, thanks.

My Duemilanove passed the loop back test (all text was exactly returned).

Trying to upload Blink or BareMinimum still fails (programmer is not responding)

@RobbertRitmeester

Can you describe the behaviour of your "L" led when the board is just powered up or reset?

Passing the loop-back test and still gettingnthat error usually indicates a missing/corrupt bootloader or a damaged chip. Observing the led mentioned above is normally a good indicater of whether or not your bootloader is in fact corrupted.

Hi. Newbie here and not sure if its proper to post in this thread. If not can you point me in the right direction?
I get a similar error...

I can compile and upload any example sketch without an error but when I try to upload GRBL I get this error. I've tried re- downloading GRBL and different versions of Arduino. I am running windows 7 and an old Uno. I'm running Arduino 1.6.1 now.

I couldn't find a topic for this problem. Should I create a new thread?

Sketch uses 28,790 bytes (89%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.
Global variables use 1,485 bytes (72%) of dynamic memory, leaving 563 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.

Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

Hi. I borrowed a friends Uno R3 and all is working now.

All I did was load the drivers for the Uno R3, because device manager reported no driver loaded, opened Arduino IDE and uploaded the same GRBL file that was not working on my Uno.

I think the bootloader and/or device drivers may be out of date. I tried to burn a new bootloader. I could not burn it though. I think this might be a Avrdude and Avr studio driver conflict.

RichiePiet:
Hi. I borrowed a friends Uno R3 and all is working now.

All I did was load the drivers for the Uno R3, because device manager reported no driver loaded, opened Arduino IDE and uploaded the same GRBL file that was not working on my Uno.

I think the bootloader and/or device drivers may be out of date. I tried to burn a new bootloader. I could not burn it though. I think this might be a Avrdude and Avr studio driver conflict.

To burn the bootloader you need to use some sort of ISP device. You can find guides online on how to use another Arduino (such as your friend's Uno) as an ISP device with the help of the ArduinoISP sketch.

i am having the same problem

Arduino: 1.6.5 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Uno"

Sketch uses 1,030 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.

Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.

avrdude: stk500_getparm(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x54

avrdude: stk500_getparm(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x04

avrdude: stk500_initialize(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x10

avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1

Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override

this check.

avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x54

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

enabled in File > Preferences.

I did the loop back test: passed. I monitored the L led while powering up the board: nothing. No blinks.
Is the board broken?

@santinoPrice: thanks for your replies!

My recommended steps if you pass the loop back test:
Make sure the correct port is selected in Tools, Port
Try setting Tools, Board to Arduino Duemilanove or Diecimila
On the menu go to Sketch, Upload
Try setting Tools, Board to Arduino Uno
Try upload again

In case your automatic reset is not working, you can also try pressing reset when uploading using the above steps, and release it when the IDE says "uploading."

Go through the troubleshooting guide at https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting

Still failing above steps I would recommend using another Arduino as an ISP programmer, or use an ISP programmer device, and burn a fresh bootloader on your Duemilanove. https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP

Try this,

check if the driver is updated or update it manually from the device manager
In device manager arduino(right click) -> properties -> hardware(tab) -> properties -> update driver.
after installing driver reconnect your arduino and restart IDE

Don't forget to select in Arduino IDE
tools->board->type of board you have
tools->processor->processor you have :slight_smile:

Arduino: 1.8.3 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 928 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM1": The system cannot find the file specified.

option enabled in File -> Preferences.

@NayanaTK

The board will not likely be on COM 1.

Check the COM & LPT ports in device manager to get the correct one and select that in the IDE.
If you cannot see the board in device manager then you will maybe need these drivers

I dont understand. What's the solution??

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FOLLOW THESE STEPS : http://www.instructables.com/id/Loopback-Test-For-Arduino-Uno/

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!