win7 computer doesn't recognise uno drivers

I've got a new arduino uno and I was trying to install it in the way shown on the arduino website, my windows 7 computer couldn't install the driver which was expected, but in the device manager it called it an "unknown device" and not what it should be called in the tutorial, I couldn't get the ftdi drivers to make it work as well so I cant upload sketches, I am using windows 7 with arduino 1.0, I also have a freeduino which I had the same problem installing but I cant remember how I fixed it, I think there might be something wrong with my computer as it was the same for both. has anyone else had this problem and does somebody know how to fix it?

open device manager again, right click on arduino 'unknown device' and hit install/update driver,
manually point the search to the arduino/drivers folder.
I have windows 7 sp1, I uninstalled 0022 drivers first then put 1.0 drivers on. ( might be same thing ).

Not sure what the website says, but this worked for me. The auto feature that pops up when an unknown device is plugged in is pretty hopeless if the driver files aren't in the system drive.

The win7 drivers unpack into the arduino installation, you have to browse for the driver from the device manager dialog for the "unknown device". I guess unpacking the device.inf in the windows inf directory was too straight forward. ..\Arduino-1.0\drivers in my case Arduino-1.0 is in c:\arduino-1.0

The UNO requires no drivers. It does not use an FTDI chip. All it needs is a .inf file to tell Windows about its specifics.

Just follow these directions: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Windows

I followed the instructions on the arduino website and they don't work for me, where can I find the .inf file?

As I stated before the. Inf files are in the drivers folder.

the .inf files dont show up in the device manager, only when I browse to the drivers folder in windows explorer

Do you have the real thing or a clone?

On my Windows 7 Laptop (M11X) the Uno installed fine following these steps:

What you found from the Window device manager is that there is an Arduino Uno device

Double click the unknown Arduino Uno device, a property window pops up

Choose the 'Driver' tab, and select 'Update Driver...'

Go to the Arduino IDE (also known as the Arduino Software) directory, and select the 'drivers' folder, then click 'OK'

Win7 scans and installs your Uno at this point.

The below might be of use.

working, the problem was i was searching for the drivers in the ftdi folder not the driver folder where the ftdi folder is contained i assumed it would be the same, thanks very much for all the help!