[HELP] Launch4j - An error occurred while starting the application.

thanks for your reply. unfortunately the same thing happened. =(

Of course the same thing happened. This was not supposed to fix anything.

I need to see the log file to determine what is going on.

"Then post the results of the launch4j.log file in the Arduino folder to see if that tells us anything."

I've tried on arduino-1.5.2. Here is the result:

CmdLine:	C:\Users\iddbbi\Desktop\arduino-1.5.2\arduino.exe --l4j-debug
WOW64:		yes
Working dir:	C:\Users\iddbbi\Desktop\arduino-1.5.2\.
Bundled JRE:	java
Check launcher:	C:\Users\iddbbi\Desktop\arduino-1.5.2\java\bin\javaw.exe (OK)
Add classpath:	lib\pde.jar
Add classpath:	lib\core.jar
Add classpath:	lib\jna.jar
Add classpath:	lib\ecj.jar
Add classpath:	lib\RXTXcomm.jar
Add classpath:	lib\commons-exec-1.1.jar
Launcher:	C:\Users\iddbbi\Desktop\arduino-1.5.2\java\bin\javaw.exe
Launcher args:	-Xms128m -Xmx128m -classpath "lib;lib\pde.jar;lib\core.jar;lib\jna.jar;lib\ecj.jar;lib\RXTXcomm.jar;lib\commons-exec-1.1.jar" processing.app.Base
Args length:	145/32768 chars

Nothing obvious in the log.

Do you have bluetooth? Disable bluetooth and see if that helps. Sometimes that will cause a long delay and will cause the app to timeout.

Also, try moving the Arduino folder from the Desktop.

I always run mine from a folder like c:\arduino\arduino-1.0.4, etc.

I have disabled the bluetooth adapter and moved the directories, but the same issues happened. =( Do I need to downgrade to Windows 7?

I had the same error at startup and I closed my bluetooth program (IVT BlueSoleil) that run in the background for a normal running of Arduino, you must see a movie with screenshot: arduino1.0.5 windows7- error at startup - YouTube

iddbbi:
Hi,

I am using Arduino Mega 2560 R3, running on Windows 8 Pro 64bits.

Every time I want to open the Arduino 1.0.5, it will take time and in the end the popup error of "Launch4j - An error occurred while starting the application." showed.

I have tried some suggestions from this forum such as editing the preferences.txt, using a.cmd, install/reinstall, but the same issue still occurred.

So, anyone have any possible solutions to solve this issue? =(

Thank you very much.

Same here on Win7 x64 - takes a lot of time to start and after that an error message shows up: Launch4j - An error occurred while starting the application.

Here is my log but nothing obvious:
CmdLine: D:\Projects\Arduino\arduino.exe --l4j-debug
WOW64: yes
Working dir: D:\Projects\Arduino.
Bundled JRE: java
Check launcher: D:\Projects\Arduino\java\bin\javaw.exe (OK)
Add classpath: lib\pde.jar
Add classpath: lib\core.jar
Add classpath: lib\jna.jar
Add classpath: lib\ecj.jar
Add classpath: lib\RXTXcomm.jar
Launcher: D:\Projects\Arduino\java\bin\javaw.exe
Launcher args: -Xms128m -Xmx128m -classpath "lib;D:\Projects\Arduino\java\lib\tools.jar;lib\pde.jar;lib\core.jar;lib\jna.jar;lib\ecj.jar;lib\RXTXcomm.jar" processing.app.Base
Args length: 159/32768 chars

Any ideas?

[UPDATE1]I tried every suggestion above and in the other posts. Installing 1.5.2 does not fix it either.
Is there a way to enable the log in more verbose mode where I can actually see what the problem is?

[UPDATE2]
So when I delete the \Documents\Arduino\libraries folder it runs once after that and it runs ok. If I close and open that IDE after that it comes bask to the old problem and I have to delete the folder again so it can work .Very weird!

[SOLUTION] I had Sierra Wireless Application Interface on Com4. I was not using it, it's just a driver for the Sierra Wireless I had before. After disabling it it all works smoothly. So any Com ports can cause some issues, in my case was this one.

Thanks man.It worked out perfect.But I am getting another error.Serial port already in use.Any working methods to fix it?

One more problem is my tools option does not work properly.I have to click on tools and wait for 2-3 minutes for tools dropdown menu to appear.Any suggestions?

hi world,

i have the same troubble can you help me, it doesn't get out.. i have try all i can.

that is the result of the debug.

CmdLine: C:\Users\archypyd\Documents\Arduino\arduino-1.0.5\arduino.exe --l4j-debug
WOW64: no
Working dir: C:\Users\archypyd\Documents\Arduino\arduino-1.0.5.
Check launcher: C:\Users\archypyd\Documents\Arduino\arduino-1.0.5\java\bin\javaw.exe (OK)
Launcher: C:\Users\archypyd\Documents\Arduino\arduino-1.0.5\java\bin\javaw.exe
Launcher args: -Xms128m -Xmx128m -classpath "lib;C:\Users\archypyd\Documents\Arduino\arduino-1.0.5\java\lib\tools.jar;lib\pde.jar;lib\core.jar;lib\jna.jar;lib\ecj.jar;lib\RXTXcomm.jar" processing.app.Base
Args length: 189/32768 chars

thanks you for your time.

I used to get this error. If I make sure the Arduino device is plugged into my PC, before I start the software, it goes away...

I'm having the same problem. Tried all the tips and tricks in the forum but no luck. Here's the logfile

CmdLine: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino.exe --l4j-debug
WOW64: yes
Working dir: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino.
Check launcher: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\java\bin\javaw.exe (OK)
Add classpath: lib\commons-codec-1.7.jar
Add classpath: lib\commons-exec-1.1.jar
Add classpath: lib\commons-httpclient-3.1.jar
Add classpath: lib\commons-logging-1.0.4.jar
Add classpath: lib\jmdns-3.4.1.jar
Add classpath: lib\jsch-0.1.50.jar
Launcher: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\java\bin\javaw.exe
Launcher args: -Xms128m -Xmx128m -classpath "lib;lib\pde.jar;lib\core.jar;lib\jna.jar;lib\ecj.jar;lib\RXTXcomm.jar;lib\commons-codec-1.7.jar;lib\commons-exec-1.1.jar;lib\commons-httpclient-3.1.jar;lib\commons-logging-1.0.4.jar;lib\jmdns-3.4.1.jar;lib\jsch-0.1.50.jar" processing.app.Base
Args length: 272/32768 chars

The only way I can get the new Arduino.exe to run is to Right Click and choose Run as Administrator. Then it seems to function well.

per http://www.ultratechnet.com/2013/01/arduino-problem-invalid-window-handle.html

"SOLUTION:
All you have to do is rename/delete(whatever you prefer) the "java" folder in the Arduino package and copy-paste the java runtime environment located in the program files folder. This is pretty simple hack which came to my mind while just trying to fix the problem. I hope this "technique" works with you.

Active Bluetooth device also seemed to be a probable cause for the problem, also responsible for slow behavior of the arduino IDE. Turn off the bluetooth device of your laptop, i.e disable the network and try again launching the application."

Worked for me.

I unintalled java and the bluetooth program and it fix the problem

I don't know why but I note that the problem begun when an update for java was installed, that is why I decided to uninstall java.

:expressionless:

I am also seeing the same Launch4j error and it is happening on two different machines. I noticed that I only see it the first time I launch the Arduino IDE. Subsequent launches of the IDE do not give an error until I reboot, then I get an error again.

I just loaded version 1.5.4-r2 of the IDE. It asks for java permissions at launch. It does not give an error. I did nothing else to the java environment. It work on an old machine running xp and a windows 7 machine.

Do you get the same results?

Same Problem here.

Windows7 Professional x64
PC without BT

new install or deleting files not working

I'm W7 64bit. I had the same problem using the Windows installer.

I uninstalled, downloaded the latest zip and unzipped to c:\arduino

I then followed the instructions

When I ran arduino.exe I was asked for java permissions and it all seems to work now.

Anti virus software can block Java, disable it temporarily.