Registry cleanup on Uninstall

I am seeking to make a fresh start with Arduino following some problems in my last project. My object is to remove Arduino from my PC so completely that there is no trace that it was ever there, then reinstall using the latest version. The Forum has provided instructions on which files to delete after an uninstall (and where to find them), but is a little vague on cleaning up the Registry - a step I am advised is essential to remove the last traces.

Bearing in mind that I know zilch about Registry, and that my dealings with it have always involved a bargepole and a bucket of commercial disinfectant :wink: , I really need some step-by-step here. Would someone please either provide me with same, or direct me to same.

Thanks

I don't think that arduino does anything to the registry...

It turns out that the secret to eliminating Registry references to Arduino is the key.

Under advice I followed the following algorithm to do a clean uninstall:

1.    Uninstall Arduino using Control Panel --> Uninstall a program
2.    Open Regedit using Start --> regedit (Run command) --> Yes
3.    Press <F3>
4.    Enter 'arduino' in the text box and click 'Find next'
5.    RMC --> Delete whatever the search highlights
6.    Press <F3>
7.    Repeat from 5 until the search gives up
8.    Reboot PC
9.    Repeat from 2 to check
10.   Quit when nothing found

AFAIK this has left me with a PC which does not even know that Arduino exists - which was the object of the exercise.

If anyone has anything to add, please do so.

vagulus:
If anyone has anything to add, please do so.

I forgot:

There are some files which need to be removed manually.

Important: before uninstalling Arduino check and record the location of your Sketchbook files: see File --> Preferences --> Sketchbook location

1. Check C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino and remove any files or folders
  2. Delete files and folders at your Sketchbook location
  3. Delete files and folders at C:\users<username>\AppData\Local\Arduino 15

The FREE "Wise registry cleaner" does a good job also without the need to trawl through the registry.

"REVO uninstaller" also does an exceptional job of clean up and removal too.

They are my GOTO for swapping IDE's and clean ups of other programs.

Be aware that if you use CREATE as an IDE there are additional directories and clean up to take into account.

Removal of the regular IDE without attention can disable CREATE requiring another install.
Just because it says ARDUINO doesn't mean its the regular IDE.

Even an "unzipped" copy of the IDE will also leave traces in the registry regardless of what anyone says.
The paths are kept along with a few other things.

If anyone doesn't believe that then try running an unzipped version on a clean machine and then do a reg scan for "arduino".

Also check your "roaming" profile too under windows as its not uncommon to also find Arduino related items in there as well.

It is worth noting that, when I installed a new version of Arduino, the Sketchbook location in the new version was the same as the (non-default) location in the old version. So, despite my best efforts, some traces of the old installation still existed.

Bah! Humbug! >:(

LOL yea it can be a slippery SOB to remove it properly.

I should have added that as I usually say move the sketchbook somewhere else safe.