Unable to get FT232R drivers loaded under Windows 7 64bit

I successfully installed Arduino SW and developed sketches which I was able to load and execute early this year. I'm using an Arduino Nano v3.0. Now I'm unable to communicate with the Nano. When I connect it, it tries to load the driver(s) but I get an error window saying "Device driver software was not successfully installed". Device Manager shows the FT232R USB UART device under the heading of Other Devices but the properties for this device says the drivers aren't installed. When I try to update the driver I get a message saying that Windows can't find the driver for this device. I've downloaded the latest VCP drivers from FTDI to no avail. I've even tried loading older drivers. When I run the FTDI executable installation file it runs and I get two green check marks and a "Ready to use" status but still nothing works and the Hardware Manager still says that the drivers are not installed (Code 28). The only thing that I know of that's changed since I was successful early this year are the numerous Win 7 upgrades. Any suggestion on a solution would be greatly appreciated.

Oh no, there may be trouble brewing in the arduino community. Look at my thread I just posted around the same time as you.

Sounds like we have same issue, I'll bet we hear more on this shortly. I hope at least.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=270176.0

Highflier

Yes same issue with nano.
Worked 1 -2 times then no communication

We just installed FTDI drivers on two machines, Win7Pro and Win8.1.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=269811.0

Reply #4 here for a little more info
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=269861.0

Hard to believe we are the only ones to get them to work on the first try.

Crossroads,

You may be missing the point, we had units working and today when we plugged them in they no longer work.

The problem is related to the version of the board. In other words I have 4 boards here right now. 3 work fine and the other will not be assigned a com port. A partner has a bunch of the same units I have problems with and all his stopped working today also.. Oct 1 is a bad day for many Nano's .

Did Microsoft do a update? Did the driver have a time bomb in it. no one seems to know yet.

If I miss understood and you had a unit fail and you went to a new driver let us know.

Highflier

I don't know what's going on with others. Just tried mine again (1.0.6 on Win7Pro), IDE had been open for a couple of days so I get a build folder disappeared error. Restarted the IDE, opened Blink and it downloaded fine again.
My Sony Vaio with WinVista that I used for nearly 4 years (and still use occasionally because it has many sketches on it and sometimes I have eagle routing going on in one room while I code in another where the hardware is, but less and less as the keyboard is getting fiddly) still runs file also.
I am stumped as to others have such difficulty.
I let both computers do Windows updates automatically. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Same issue here. I tested 3 nanos so far on Win7 x64 and WinXP x86. Tried reinstalling FTDI drivers without success.

Even I am having the same issue on Windows7 (64-bit).Tried re-installing driver from VCP Drivers - FTDI lot of times.Please suggest some way to resolve this issue.

Same problem here. :disappointed_relieved:

I got a new Nano module. Connected it, the driver auto-installed fine, uploaded the code, everything is OK.

One hour later I replug the board to USB and it is no longer recognized by Win7 64bit - no driver!
I manually installed the driver, but it still doesn't work.

This Nano is a clone, it has "www.funduino.com" and "LISA 2011" written on the PCB.

I have found this so far... flip the board over.. near the usb connector there is a FTDI chip read the second line.. You will need a magnifying glass to read it.
If it say
1408 It is same chip as mine that I am having trouble with as of Oct 1st. 2014
if it say
1436 It is the same chip as mine that still works, (I have 3 of these)

This info does not help fix the problem but maybe we can narrow it down to a set of H/W Then I am hopeful that some really smart person can fix up a driver.

My chip has a 1402 code.

Can you guys look at the USB device ID and tell me what it is? (right click on the device, Properties, Details, Hardware ID from the drop down list).

Mine is USB\VID_0403&PID_0000&REV_0600 and this PID is the source of the problem: the drivers only recognize PIDs 60xx, not 0000 !!

working one is
FTDIBUS\COMPORT&VID_0403&PID_6001

failing one is (it has 2 lines)
USB\VID_0403&PID_0000&REV_0600
USB\VID_0403&PID_0000

highflier

I confirm the same problem with FTDI 232RL since 1 October....I have problem with 90% ebay purchased FT232. I also have original Digikey chips that working perfect now. Seems like there was some global update from FTDI or Windows to block fakes....

Yep, should be PID_6001...

I have contacted FDTI support for this problem, I am waiting for their reply.

There was a recent FTDI windows driver update, although I can't see anything that might cause devices to stop working.

FTDI - Other hardware - USB Serial Converter

Download size: 825 KB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Optional

FTDI Other hardware software update released in August, 2014

I believe this is FTDI version 2.12.00, release note here http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM%202%2012%2000%20Release%20Info.rtf I guess if there was a change to nobble fakes they might not publish that info.

That update is pending in my Windows update...

Possibly due to recent news about USB hacking vulnerability they have been tightening up on USB drivers, or someone just goofed an update.

FDTI have a tool to edit the data in their devices called FT_PROG, it might be a way to recover faulty devices. It's also a way to mess it up completely, but if it doesn't work anyway maybe no loss. Utilities - FTDI

Later edit:

As it turns out the problem is caused by counterfeit chips, I must delete the workaround procedure I have found, because altering device drivers is contrary to the FTDI license agreement.

If you have such a fake chip, please contact the seller for reimbursement.

Unfortunately FT_PROG cannot be used because the program does not see the problematic chip.

Just to be clear, the workaround I described above is to make the driver work with the defective chips, not only FT_PROG!

Vincent77 thank you very much! :slight_smile: The workaround worked for me, I get my board operating again.

another question, do I need to modify all 60XX positions?