WARNING: PL2303 USB TTL chip has NO driver for win 8 DON'T buy!

[See next post]
I bought an Arduino nano clone on ebay. It came with PL2303 instead of FTDI chip. When I plugged it in the usb port, it gets recognized and win 8.1 installed a driver automatically. But the driver can't start.

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

A device which does not exist was specified.

I've used the same board on a win 7 machine with no problem. I wonder if this is another win 8.1 problem?

http://prolificusa.com/pl-2303hx-drivers/

Seems like I'm out of luck. The manufacturer states the chip is not supported in win 8/8.1

Have you tried with the win7 driver doing this: Installing an unsigned driver in Windows 8 (x64) – BLOG ?

I can't even find where the pl2303 driver install program unzipped the drivers. A PL2303 driver IS installed after I plugged in the Nano but it shows error messages. The manufacturer specifically says PL2303 HXA is obsolete and has no win8 driver. Have you tried it yourself?

I haven't tried but I have used that way to install some old drivers. I don't think it is a hardware limitation, it might be something like chineses cloned that chip too much that prolific stopped supporting these old versions or something like that.

eried:
I haven't tried but I have used that way to install some old drivers. I don't think it is a hardware limitation, it might be something like chineses cloned that chip too much that prolific stopped supporting these old versions or something like that.

That was in my thoughts too. Make it obsolete. If you have the driver, can you tell me the file name. I just couldn't find where the install program unzipped the driver so I can't specify where to find driver :frowning:

Have you tried this: Prolific PL-2303 Driver Setup Installer for Windows 7 and 8 (32bit and 64bit) - ThinkCentre M72e, M92, M92p, M93, M93p - Lenovo Support US

After installing, probably the driver is in c:\windows\inf (sort by last created/modified)

That Lenovo driver only supports newer PL2303 chips, not the ones I have. So once again don't get it if you have win 8. Ask seller if they use this chip. FTDI and CP210X chips both work.

liudr:
That Lenovo driver only supports newer PL2303 chips, not the ones I have. So once again don't get it if you have win 8. Ask seller if they use this chip. FTDI and CP210X chips both work.

Here's a PL2303 driver for Win7, dated 02 April 2002. It may work for you.

-- Roger

pl2303_win_7_driver.zip (74.4 KB)

JohnLincoln:
Another good reason to only buy genuine Arduino products.

Not really an argument, when you can't afford to buy everything genuine ... well you just can't ô_o - pretty much the same thing as saying "another good reason to only buy industrial-grade laser CNC machines / 3D printer / insert really expensive device here".

No linux dual-boot to check if it works under 'nux?

PL2303 works with GNU/Linux. I have it working on debian and raspbian (raspberry pi)