Well there goes the neighborhood

:frowning:

Perhaps a golden opportunity for a new startup?

...R

GitHub right? I will be switching back to Mercurial repositories... wait... I don't have a problem with this GitHub is free for my use and I can point the upstream link to Gitlab, Atlassian, Sourceforge... at any time so it is a total waste of cash if MS is trying to cause problems. I am liking Visual Studio Code, it is the best editor I have (sort of) figured out how to use. At any rate congrats to GitHub.

ron_sutherland:
At any rate congrats to GitHub.

Not sure about that.

They aren't getting cash :slight_smile:

...R

Ya know, if I could sell my 101-365.com brand for billions of freekin' dollars, I would. The happiness of the internet at large would not be my concern.

ChrisTenone:
Ya know, if I could sell my 101-365.com brand for billions of freekin' dollars, I would.

But would you stoop so low as to take billions of Microsoft shares?

...R

Robin2:
But would you stoop so low as to take billions of Microsoft shares?

...R

In a heartbeat.

https://www.google.com/search?q=NASDAQ:MSFT&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgecRoyi3w8sc9YSmdSWtOXmNU4-IKzsgvd80rySypFJLgYoOy-KR4uLj0c_UNzKty8uIteQATIk__OgAAAA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjK-8bry73bAhXB6lMKHcHJCxoQsRUI9QEwHQ&biw=1920&bih=990

I do hate Microsoft ... but if they are sellable, I would.

I mentioned GitLab, but I want to point out that they are a VC funded company and will need to find someone to purchase them at some point. These companies are profit-seeking entities, they use money the way a rocket uses fuel. Pushing the metaphor some more, I guess MS has provided GitHub a parachute for the landing. MS is probably only going to buy one version (they are a lot smarter than I was with Word4Windblows... oops I am getting mad again).

ron_sutherland:
... oops I am getting mad again).

I have to use Word at my job - it's kinda standard. Every time I get a new version, I practice with it, say, filling a page with "I hate Word" over and over again.

ChrisTenone:
I have to use Word at my job - it's kinda standard. Every time I get a new version, I practice with it, say, filling a page with "I hate Word" over and over again.

99% of the time you can use LibreOffice and nobody will ever know the difference. Not that it's any easier to use, but at least it isn't MS.

Delta_G:
99% of the time you can use LibreOffice and nobody will ever know the difference. Not that it's any easier to use, but at least it isn't MS.

I've heard of that, and was told (by someone, I'm not convinced knows for sure) that it doesn't do fillable forms right, and I use those a lot.

ChrisTenone:
I've heard of that, and was told (by someone, I'm not convinced knows for sure) that it doesn't do fillable forms right, and I use those a lot.

That I don't know. Never tried it. Of course you gotta be the other 1%. :slight_smile:

Delta_G:
That I don't know. Never tried it. Of course you gotta be the other 1%. :slight_smile:

Being the other 1% has been my life's work.

ChrisTenone:
Being the other 1% has been my life's work.

And the nice thing about it is that we can be different from all the other "other 1%" folks. :slight_smile:

...R

Ahhhh..can someone tell me what this thread is about.

The starting post just an emoticon! ! ! !

Did I miss something, or are we starting a Seinfeld, thread.. About Nuthin....

Tom.. :o :o :o

TomGeorge:
Ahhhh..can someone tell me what this thread is about.

The starting post just an emoticon! ! ! !

Did you click on the underlined emoticon?

TolpuddleSartre:
Did you click on the underlined emoticon?

Very hard to see that it was underlined, thankyou.
Can someone source a map/diagram of who owns who in the IT world these days?