HC-08 Bluetooth module Connecting/pairing problem

Hi all,

I've looked at quite a lot of topics on this in different forums and none seem to help me.

I recently bought an Elegoo car kit, which is compatible with the Arduino IDE, and it comes with different types of code and what not. they even have their own Android app.

My problem is I want to create my own android Bluetooth application that connects/pairs with the module and can control the car remotely. I have my application up and running, it can scan for nearby devices and the HC-08 module appears in the list but I am not able to connect. when I try to connect it says it can't communicate with HC-08.

Can someone help me with this ?

I have the same problem.

The Elegoo helpdesk has answered me:

"Our robot car's Bluetooth module only supports connecting with the app we developed."

I have replaced Elegoo's HC-08 with an HC-05. It has worked without problems.

But I think it's not the solution. I want to make the HC-08 work. I tried to connect to send AT commands, but I still have not.

Did you get to fix it?

1 Like

I've had the exact same issue, except that I can't pair the bluetooth module to anything (INCLUDING the Elegoo smartphone app!) nor is it responsive to AT commands when connected directly to a different arduino UNO board.

The LED on the bluetooth module does turn on while I'm trying to pair something to it but the 2nd device doesn't ask me for a password or anything, it just says "Failed to connect, try again". I've tried on my smartphone and on my PC.

My Elegoo car kit came with the DX-BT16 bluetooth module but my colleague actually has an older version of the elegoo kit (but that one is HC-08) so he lent it to me and it exhibits the exact same behaviour.

I'm about to order an HC-05 just to make sure i'm sane and can get anything at all to work...

Sounds like a pretty good idea. HC-08 and DXBT16 are BT4 devices and you have already been told they support the car with their own app. I don't know anything about Elgoo but:

1. IF your phone or PC are not BT4 you are probably sunk from the start as I'm pretty sure HC-08 is not backward compatible.

2. If you intend to reprogramme the car, changing its Bluetooth to HC-05 would put you in the popular mileau. If Android is BT4 it should be backward compatible with HC-05.

3. It is normal for BT2 devices to be able to see BT4, but that is no guarantee of communication. The BT4 has to be backward compatible, whereby it reverts to BT2 mode. I believe modules usually are not, probably because there is no point.

1 Like