Heated Bed for Materia 101

Hi,

Let me share my experience with the heaterbed I created. After some weeks of expererience with the 3D printing, I experience some warping.... and also became curious if I would be able to print ABS with my Materia 101.

In search for a heater-pad that would fit - found one... foldable and less than 15 euros
So I went searching for a heaterbed that would fit the size. That seemed to be kind of difficult, since most are 20x20cm. Until I came accross a foldable Kaptan heaterpad. I thought that by folding it, it would be possible to schrink it into the Z-Axis bed of the Materia 101. During this search, I also found horror-stories on RAMPS schields with MOS-FETs or PCB copper-lines that would not be able to manage the current (>10Amps). So I decided to use a second hand industrial PID controller (the once you'll find in industrial fridges), and to use an external power supply to power the heaterpad and not interfere the powersupply of the Materia 101.

Placement of the heater-pad
With putting it all together, it worked great. I folded the heater-pad in the Z-Axis. Placed the temperature sensor underneath the heaterpad and below that I place a little sillicon mat, normally to be used for home-baking, in order to keep the temperature controller in place. Probably I would also keep the heat inside under the Z-Axis.

Needed a relay to swith the high-currents
After a few days the temperature raised and wasn't controlled anymore. It seemed that the current to be switched by the PID was to high and the relay contacts were molded together. The relay contacts were able to only manage 2Amps, where I needed at least 10Amps. So placing an additional relay fixed this. Since then I'm using the heater-pad almost daily. With good results. The PID settings are 45 Celcius to support PLA and 99 Celcius to support ABS. Resulting in hardly any warping and no more blue tape needed anymore. I'm using a self-made slurry of Acetone with some left-overs of the ABS prints. Cheap, easy to make and works great.

Costs/Bill of Material - total around 65 euro's
Total costs were 15 euro's for the heater-pad, 35 euro's for the power supply, 10 euro's for a second hand PID controller, 3 euro's for a 12V/15Amps relay and 2 euro's for a power-switch . In total 65 euro's.

Benefits of the heater-pad

• Hardly any warping anymore
  • No need to use the blue tape... instead I use self made Acetone/ABS slurry
  • The first layer stick much better compared to the blue-tape or hairspay
  • I'm able to also print ABS now... which is way more difficult but also an interesting experience
  • Cost are acceptable and components are easy to get online
  • A nice project for the weekend and rewarding to not have warping issues anymore

Pictures of my Arduino Materia 101 heater-pad
I've attached some pictures of my set-up. 1) The heater-pad made of foldable Kaptan, available at iPrototype.nl, which I contacted to first get confirmation that the heater-pad would be foldable. 2) Power-supply, PID and heated bed and 3) How the heater-pad and temperature sensor are mounted and kept in place with a sillicone mat.

So far my expereinces.

Bas
Netherlands.

IMG_0272.JPG

IMG_0487.JPG