where do i find forum guidelines on cross-posting.

please help I do not want to get another timeout...

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.msg1118325.html#post_etiquette

Mully911:
please help I do not want to get another timeout...

Employ some common sense.

Edit: I notice you even managed to duplicate this topic.
In the same forum section, FFS.

The simple answer to the question in the title is "don't cross-post"

...R

Also mentioned in many of the STICKY threads at the top of most sections too.

Of course that requires the ability to read those posts and understand them.

As mentioned: don't cross post.
But if you find yourself in a situation where you end up posting in some incorrect forum, report your post to a moderator.
You can do so by clicking the link below your post, but above your signature (if you'd have one).
Ask the moderator to either remove the post, or to move it to the right place (telling the moderator where, in your opinion, it should go).

But don't make a habit of doing this, moderators are quite busy over here and really don't need the extra work.

"Cross Posting" - posting the same question in multiple places.

If you have a question, it may seem like it's a good idea to post it in all the categories where it might apply.
Say, if you're having trouble with your Internet-of-Things thermostat, you could ask in the "Project Guidance" section, and in the "Networking, Protocols, and Devices" section, and perhaps the "Home Automation and Networked Objects" section. That way, appropriate parties will see your question even if they don't read all of the forum sections, and you're more likely to get an answer, right?

Don't Do That!!

it's particularly annoying to the people who read the question more than once. Worse, an answer you get will probably show up in only one place, making things difficult for anyone searching for a similar topic, and answers that could have built on one another to make a good discussion might instead be isolated, and less generally useful.

The object of forums like the Arduino Forum is not just to answer your question, but to serve as an archive of knowledge. Having the same question in multiple places, with perhaps disparate answers, make it less useful in that respect. It's considered pushy and impolite, and will get you put in time-out...

Cross posting to other, further-away forums (like avrfreaks.net, or stack exchange) is a bit more ambiguous. I know it still annoys some of our most prolific posters, but the "communities" and even "personality" of other forums can be quite different, so it's not as "bad."
There is general agreement that if you DO cross-post further away, that you also:

• tell us that you've done so.
  • if you get an answer somewhere else, tell us, and let use know as well (and/or post links.)