Arduino Driver Install "A service installation section in this INF is invalid."

@krasnejv

Please post a pic of your board near the USB connector and another of each side of the board.
If its what I think (CH340/CP2102) then hopefully we can get your board up.

Bob

ballscrewbob:
If its what I think (CH340/CP2102)

CH340's VID/PID is 1A86/7523 The CP210X have a bunch of PIDs, but all of their VIDs are 10C4.

2a03/0043 is a legitimate VID/PID for the official UNO with the ATmega16U2. It's listed right in the Arduino AVR Boards boards.txt file:

uno.vid.2=0x2A03
uno.pid.2=0x0043

pert:
CH340's VID/PID is 1A86/7523 The CP210X have a bunch of PIDs, but all of their VIDs are 10C4.

2a03/0043 is a legitimate VID/PID for the official UNO with the ATmega16U2. It's listed right in the Arduino AVR Boards boards.txt file:
ArduinoCore-avr/boards.txt at 1.6.23 · arduino/ArduinoCore-avr · GitHub

uno.vid.2=0x2A03

uno.pid.2=0x0043

Wasnt it also the FTDIGATE things ?

FTDIgate was about a Windows driver update released by FTDI changing the VID/PID of counterfeit FT232 from 0403/6001 to 0403/0000. This "bricked" them because the new VID/PID was not supported by the FTDI driver.

Bob,

First 2 pics. I hope these are good enough for what you need.

John

They were and indicate a proper Arduino so that agrees with Pert and throws my hope of resolving it out of the window :o

Bob.

Bob,

So are you saying that there's no fix for this? Should I contact Arduino support and inform them of the problem?

John

I just replaced the firmware on my Uno's ATmega16U2 to make it have the same VID/PID of 2a03/0043 and still I can't reproduce the issue.

You are welcome to contact Arduino support if you like:

OK, well now its up in the air again weather its hardware or software. Geeez this thing is so frustrating. I have ordered another Arduino Uno board. Will have to see what the VID/PID of that one is and if it will work. Thanks.

THE BOARD IS BAD!!!!

I got another board and as soon as I plugged it in, it started working. It shows as COM 3 and the Hardware ID shows as:

USB\VID_2341&PID_0043&REV_001
USB\VID_2341&PID_0043

I have DL'ed a sketch and its working fine.

If anyone wants me to do something with the board to try to see what's wrong let me know, else its going to be returned.

Thanks to all for your support.

John

Just wanted to say that I was able to reproduce the error using Win 10 and having the Uno in DFU mode which then wanted drivers for the Atmega16u2 chip.

I am guessing your board probably doesn’t have the usb firmware loaded.

It is too bad you have run into this problem so early in your journey and it will be much easier to just return the board.

But, if you want some more fun, I would try one of the examples I will point you to.

I have used this one a few times and I like it because it uploads both the DFU program and the USB-firmware at the same time. You would have to turn your other Arduino into an "Arduino as ISP" or get a ISP programmer like a USBasp.

If your Arduino has the DFU program loaded, and I think yours does, it would also be doable using Flip.

I just used this today and it worked great for uploading the USB-firmware. You don't have to solder anything on the newer Arduinos.

Doesn't the Uno have a different VID/PID than 2A03/0043 when it's in DFU mode? On my Uno with the .org firmware installed on the ATmega16U2, the VID/PID when in DFU mode is 03EB/2FEF. krasnejv reported their VID/PID was detected as 2A03/0043. No word from ingineer_74.

I agree, the VID/PID 2A03/0043 changes when you go to the DFU mode and I also loaded the .org firmware. At the first of the thread they were both trying to get drivers for the Atmega16u2 and the only time you should even see the 16u2 is when you are in DFU mode as far as I know.

Anyway, this has been driving me crazy as I have followed the thread and I tried to come up with something else to check.

Hello kprims and thanks for the suggestions. I mean what's the worst that I can do--break a broken board?

I would like to try the procedure using FLIP first, however the link that he gives for the FLIP app is not valid. When I click on http://www.atmel.com/tools/FLIP.aspx it takes me to https://www.microchip.com/.
I've tried searching the web and can't seem to find it. Can someone point me to FLIP?

The procedure from instructables uses point to point wiring and I don't have the female to female wires to make those connections.

So if I can find the FLIP app, I could try that. If someone could point to where I could get it I would appreciate it. Thanks.

John

krasnejv:
the link that he gives for the FLIP app is not valid. When I click on http://www.atmel.com/tools/FLIP.aspx it takes me to https://www.microchip.com/.

Here it is:

Microchip broke all the old URLs after they bought Atmel.

krasnejv:
The procedure from instructables uses point to point wiring and I don't have the female to female wires to make those connections.

You can use male to female wires as well. You just need to make the right connections to the female headers on your Uno. There is a table on this page that shows the Arduino pins that correspond to each of the pins on the 2x3 ICSP header under the "Connections" section of this page:

I very much recommend buying a selection of the male to male, male to female, and female to female jumper wires. They come in very handy for playing with Arduino.

Hi all:
ingineer_74 here...

I haven't been on this thread since Friday evening...looks like there has been a lot of activity/progress since then.

I was also able to get my board to sort of work and open up the COM port and get Windows to "see" the Arduino board. However, when I get into the IDE and try to upload the Blink Sketch, it hangs and attempts to load the Sketch 10 times with no success. (see attached verbose text file that was saved and Device Manager and Hardware IDs)

Any ideas? I think my board has been damaged...what is interesting is the Green and L Yellow/Amber LED stay lit when plugging in the USB cable and also when I hit the Reset button.

I'll look at some of the previous posts here to see if there may be something there that may help with my issue.

Hardware_IDs.PNG

Windows_version_info.PNG

ArduinoIDE_Compilation and Upload verbose info.txt (29.6 KB)

Hi pert.

I very much recommend buying a selection of the male to male, male to female, and female to female jumper wires. They come in very handy for playing with Arduino.

Thanks. I only have the bare-wire-end male to male that came with the kit. I'll have to get some of the others.

John

ingineer_74:
I haven't been on this thread since Friday evening...looks like there has been a lot of activity/progress since then.

Well, I don't know that you can call it progress, but activity for sure.

ingineer_74's Hardware_IDs.PNG:

Hardware_IDs.PNG

So your board does not have the arduino.org VID/PID like krasnejv's board. In addition to my test with installing the drivers after installing the .org firmware on my Uno's ATmega16U2, that makes me think the .org VID/PID has nothing to do with the "A service installation section in this INF is invalid." error you both encountered.

ingineer_74's upload error:

Arduino: 1.8.9 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM6 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\tjend\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_428674/Blink.ino.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 6.3-20171130
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM6
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7f

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

ingineer_74's Windows_Device_Manager_Info.PNG:

So you do have the correct board and COM port selected (potential causes of this error).

Do you have any shield or wiring connected to your board? If so, disconnect it and try uploading to just the Uno alone.

If your Uno doesn't have one of those nifty plastic bases, make sure it's not sitting on any conductive object that could short out the contacts on the bottom of the board.

ingineer_74:
the Green and L Yellow/Amber LED stay lit when plugging in the USB cable and also when I hit the Reset button.

Does the LED marked "L" blink after you do that?

Hi Pert...yes agreed a lot of activity for sure.

Anyway, I’m not using anything connected to the board such as shields or any wiring...just the board as stand-alone as pulled right out of the starter kit box. I place it directly on top of its little box to ensure it’s not sitting on anything conductive.

As for the L LED, it never blinks when hitting the Reset button(or plugging in usb cable). Stays solid yellow.

Hi pert,

OK, I FLIPed the bad board and now it is COM4 with a hardware ID of:

USB\VID_2341&PID_0043&REV_001
USB\VID_2341&PID_0043

However, when I try to load the Blink example sketch, it never finishes the upload and gives the results in the attached text file. So I guess I'm at the same place that ingineer_74 is. The board is stand-alone on the plastic mount. Could it be that the microprocessor needs to be flashed also?

John

Problem Uploading.txt (8.44 KB)