New Stepper motor set up test is "Cavitating" or skipping steps or under driven

Hi Guys thanks for the quick replies.
**@groundFungus **

That indicates, to me, that the motor is trying to accelerate to a speed that it is not capable of, buzzes, and then the deceleration gets to the point that it can run and then stops. The system freeze could be when it hits a soft (or hard) limit. Does $X unlock it?

Acceleration was one of my suspicions also.
I have not attempted sending $X (with out a value) but I have sent $X 10 and this remains frozen until the board is reset.

If you are using G00 commands the motor will try to accelerate to the max speed at the acceleration in the config file. Try it using G01 commands with a much slower speed. Then you might need to make changes to the config file to match what the motor can do.

I will give the G01 command a go and post back any thing changes.

Are you using micro stepping?

No micro stepping currently but will be testing this next

@TomGeorge
Hardware Info:

Have you checked your power supply voltage when the stepper is jittering?

I have not explicitly checked for a voltage drop when attempting to run the steppers, I'll give it a test an post back any findings.

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?

My Arduino 2D Plotter: 06. Plugging Protoneer CNC shield and configuring DRV8825 driver this is not a photo of my specific board but a good image of the Protoneer CNC shield v3 (please note they are not using the A4899 drivers)

Have you just got ONE DRIVER and ONE STEPPER and code to JUST CONTROL that ONE STEPPER, so that you can get your driving code working before making the problem twice the size?

Whilst the board is suited for 4 drivers I'm currently testing one driver with one motor then selecting the X axis to move in the serial interface with the GRBL code.

Software Info:

Can you post your complete code , using code tags please?

The software being used is simply GRBL refer GitHub - gnea/grbl: An open source, embedded, high performance g-code-parser and CNC milling controller written in optimized C that will run on a straight Arduino
Compiled and Installed via the Arduino IDE refer Compiling Grbl · gnea/grbl Wiki · GitHub

Thanks Again for the ideas, Any more will be most welcome.