how to drive a speaker from a r2r ladder

well, i never thought i could receive compliments here, so i'm kind of happy :slight_smile:

however, the second part of your explanation made me a bit cofused.. you've "raised" an important issue.. the first thing i thought was to resolve the problem by software, in this way (or something similiar):

currentMicros=micros();                  //Read the current time, checking if 32us have passed
  if(currentMicros-previousMicros>=32){
    previousMicros=currentMicros;
    sample=0;

for(pins=0;pins<TOTAL_PINS;pins++){    //Search among all the pins
      if(playflags[pins]==1)               //the ones whose flag has been set and
        sample+=Samples[pins][i];          //sum together their respective samples.
    }
    digitalWrite(latchP, LOW);                       //Toggle the latch clock
    shiftOut(dataP, clockP, MSBFIRST, (sample>>8));  //Send the first half of data to the shift reg
    shiftOut(dataP, clockP, MSBFIRST, sample);       //Send the second half of data to the shift reg
    digitalWrite(latchP, HIGH);                      //Toggle the latch clock again
    i++;                                             //Increase the counter
    if(i==LAST_SAMPLE){                          //If the the last sample has been reached,
      i=0;                                       //reset the counter and
      for(pins=0;pins<TOTAL_PINS;pins++)         //all the play flags.
        playflags[pins]=0;
    }
  }

in this way, i'm able to send the data once, at twice of the depth, using only 2 registers, but i'll need a bigger R2R ladder. i'm still wondering if arduino's computing capabilities are enough to do all those instructions in just 32us (that are about 512 clock cycles).

Anyway, if i would use different regs and ladders for every sample, how can i mix the sounds together?