Anyone else getting kicked off a lot lately?

In the last couple of hours I've been logged out probably about a dozen times at least. Is it a site wide problem or have I upset someone again :slight_smile:

Most annoying when you've just spent a good 10 minutes composing a detailed answer but upon "post"ing, you get thrown onto the login screen and it's all lost.

not losing data, but sloooooowwwww :frowning:

I also noticed high numbers of visitors today 1630 (new school projects?)

robtillaart:

Yes loads of them, but it seems like the timeout on my login is totally random. Sometimes I can be logged in for hours while I beaver away on something else. I'll come back and find I'm still logged in and all is well.

Other times I'll find I've been logged out. I log back in, and a couple of minutes later I'm logged out again.

Open up an incognito / private window. Log in there and see how you go. If no problem is seen, you may just have to delete the cookies for arduino.cc.

It's so slow, I'm doing something else, basically.

When you wait 30 seconds for a page to load, you lose interest.

However I haven't been logged out.

robtillaart:

You can tell because suddenly everyone is interested in something rather esoteric. :slight_smile:

I was also having logout problems yesterday and none related to my long suffering issue I reported here months ago.

Just to reiterate the long suffering issue is...
I can have tabs open to forum threads and be typing a reply but just need to check my answer in the Products/Reference pages on this site in another tab and when I try to post the reply I find I'm logged out and the reply is lost. It does not always happen but I wonder if it's related to the length of time I have been logged into the forum. It's as if the forum is happy with me still being logged in but when I visit other parts of the site it say 'what are still doing here' and logs me out.
I use FF33.1.1 have cookies (site & third party) enabled.

Riva:
but when I visit other parts of the site it say 'what are still doing here' and logs me out.

Interesting you should mention this. I did notice, that quite often I'll check other parts of the site to look for relevant links. Just after posting a link to another part of the site, it seems very likely I'm going to be logged out.

So for instance I might post a link saying Check here for a comparison Then within a short time, I'll be logged out.

Edit: Ok it didn't do it this time.

I wonder if a session login cookie is set to expire after x amount of inactivity time and periodic reading/posting on the forum prevents this but if you visit other parts of arduino.cc the cookie gets overwritten/deleted or read and expires your time since logon (not last post).

It's no big problem now as the new forum is so slow I usually get pissed off with waiting for pages to load and close the site tabs so I no longer remain logged in for hours at a time. Either that or if I loose a reply I just don't bother replying any more.

I've never been logged out, I only logged in once and that was years ago when I joined and checked "remember me" or whatever the option is.

Rob

Graynomad:
I've never been logged out, I only logged in once and that was years ago when I joined and checked "remember me" or whatever the option is.

Hmm, I'd consider this but I have a rather mischievous grand-daughter. If she ever got onto my machine and found she could impersonate me on a website, I'm sure she'd take full advantage.

In the last couple of hours I've been logged out probably about a dozen times at least
I have a rather mischievous grand-daughter

Problem solved. :stuck_out_tongue:

I haven't been kicked off at all recently.

[quote author=Nick Gammon link=msg=1969055 date=1416458303]
Problem solved. :stuck_out_tongue:

I haven't been kicked off at all recently.
[/quote]No, she rarely gets a chance to get her hands on my laptop. Certainly not within the timesframe that we're talking about. She did once post a few links to topless MEN on my facebook page, telling everyone that I've decided to "come out". Fortunately she couldn't resist using txt speak, so it didn't fool anybody :slight_smile:

It reminds me of the letter little Johnny gave his teacher to excuse him for not handing his homework in:

Please excuse Johnny for not doing his homework as he was sick.

Signed,

Dad

She did once post a few links to topless MEN on my facebook page

I didn't realize there was such a concept. You can see topless men on the beach any time.

[quote author=Nick Gammon link=msg=1966258 date=1416293684]
You can tell because suddenly everyone is interested in something rather esoteric. :slight_smile:
[/quote] . . . but surprisingly well-specified.

[quote author=Nick Gammon link=msg=1969088 date=1416462377]
It reminds me of the letter little Johnny gave his teacher to excuse him for not handing his homework in:
[/quote]:slight_smile: I once had a the onerous task of trying to collect payment for an outstanding account. A child (about 10 years old) answered the door to me, and said "Mummy's not in".

I said to this kid, "Can you ask mummy when she'll be home" The kid went running back inside and came back with the answer "Mummy says she doesn't know when she'll be home." :slight_smile:

Anyway . . . doing a handbrake-turn back onto the topic, I haven't been logged out, but sometimes going from arduino.cc to the forum, the authentication has just hung, and I get stuck in a blank browser window limbo.

OK I've finally given up and clicked the "remember me" box. So if you see me posting anything outrageous, don't blame me!