Control 48v Go Kart motor

Hey everyone! I am working on a go kart project that involves two 1000w 48v dc motors. MY1020 1000W 48V Electric Brush Motor for E-Scooter Razor Go Kart Mini Bike ATV | eBay
I am looking to either build an arduino pwm compatible motor controller, an existing shield, or an affordable board. I hope to be able to go forward and reverse, and for no current to go back into the circuit when the kart is braking or coasting. I have used an Adafruit motor shield before, but they cannot handle 48v motors. Does anyone have any suggestions to accomplish this task?

Would something like this work? Pololu High-Power Motor Driver 36v20 CS

That wouldn't last 10 seconds.
You need something like this
EDIT (LINK REMOVED)

I think it really isn't a good idea to recommend a three-phase brushless DC motor controller, to use with a regular DC brushed motor. I don't think it will even work.

Your right. I posted the wrong link. I'm looking for another one. Thanks for catching that.

I am actually now looking into 36v 1000w motors (battery considerations) and have been looking at scooter motor controllers (http://www.scooterpartscatalog.com/36v-1000w-scooter-controller-270-21.html). However I am not sure how I would go about interfacing one of these with an arduino. Could I use pwm pins for throttle input? Would there be a way to implement reverse control?

EDIT: I have learned that many of these scooter controllers will reverse the throttle if the throttle wires are switched. Is there any way to "switch" the power wiring through electronics and Arduino code?

You have limited yourself by starting out with a brushed motor. I am having a hard time finding motor controllers for one at 48V.

andrewf:
EDIT: I have learned that many of these scooter controllers will reverse the throttle if the throttle wires are switched. Is there any way to "switch" the power wiring through electronics and Arduino code?

Details of the particular motor controller are needed to work out how to interface it. Many
are designed to connect to a 5k or 10k linear potentiometer and detect a broken connection.
You'd typically interface to that by using a fixed 5k resistor and driving the wiper terminal with an analog voltage.

Some controls are centre-off and do forwards and backwards (mobility scooter and
wheelchair controllers), others only go forwards (bike and scooter controllers).

Mobility scooter and wheelchair controllers are all 24V though - something like a golf-cart
controller is more likely to be 48V and reversible.

You have to be a little careful with your motors because the rated 1000 Watts of power is probably the continuous rating. The motors will have a stall current of well over the rated 27 Amps. That's why the Pololu controllers would not work. The Pololu and Adafruit boards are great, but your motors are a little big for them.

I think the scooter motor controller would have a tough time handling the current for your motors as well. Its technical specs suggest it for a 350 to 600 Watt motor, not a 1000 Watt motor like yours. (Though it does say peak current of 40 Amps, so it may work with your motors -- hard to say.)

If you can run both motors with the same controller, a golf cart controller like this one might work at a relatively cheap price: www.evdrives.com/product_p/con-spm48225.htm. That controller should be heavy duty enough to handle any current your motors pull.

But that controller does not switch directions (forward and reverse). To enable that, you would need a reversible contactor like this one: www.evdrives.com/product_p/sol-dc88s.htm.

You can easily control the above motor controller with an Arduino PWM output pin. The contactor is harder to control electronically. You would need to wire up a circuit with a transistor or relay.

You might also look into brushed-DC motor controllers from Vantec and Roboteq:

https://www.vantec.com/

NOTE: It won't be cheap.