IR Question, I need to find IR codes, not read them...

Hi there, sorry the subject is worded strangely.

Right in my car I have a CD/DVD type radio and it is supposed to come with an IR Remote control. But as it was second hand the remote didn't come with it so my question is that could I hook up an IR emitter to my arduino and run a script to basically make up IR codes and send them via the IR emitter so that I can then use the codes that affect the radio (i.e. volume +/- etc) and then later make a sketch just to emit the codes I have found/need.

So basically... I want my arduino to send out IR codes and when it starts to control my radio (let's say turning the volume up) I then know that that code is used to turn up the volume (which I will use in a later project) the sketch then continues to generate codes and if a code controls something (as before, I'd write it down so that I can use it later)

If that doesn't make sense then I shall try to re-word it but if it does make sense then can you help me out please?

Thanks in advanced.

try this:

Or this:

http://ruggedcircuits.com/AD040/UniversalRemote.pde

--
The Gadget Shield: accelerometer, RGB LED, IR transmit/receive, speaker, microphone, light sensor, potentiometer, pushbuttons

Some devices use codes of as much as four digits.

You may have a long project ahead of you, doing it the way you propose.

What is the make and model of the device you want to control? I would hope that someplace out there in internet land there's a spec for the codes used.

Even more "off the wall"... if you can find a helpful person with the controller you want to use.. even a remote person... you MIGHT be able to have him "talk" to you via a Skype video conference, and send you the codes over the video link... many webcams "see" IR light. The bandwidth might be a problem. Might be fun to try, anyway!

There must be forums for your particular audio system... someone there might have answers or a controller. Maybe they would mail it to you, to borrow for testing?