Upload sketch to Arduino via USBASP Usb protocol only.

Hello all :slight_smile:

I have a usbasp programmer, Atmega328p with UNO bootloader, I DON'T have FTDI breakout board. Can you tell me how to upload sketches multiple times on the arduino chip using the USBASP protocol. I want to replace the TX, RX, RST serial protocol with the USBasp interface (Protocol only)?
Is it possible?

Thanks in advance

Your looking at changing the bootloader significantly as that is it's main function. Why not use your UNO board with the MCU removed as the USB/serial adapter.

Thanks sparkylabs for the knowledge.

I was going through this forum Programming problem (Can I use a USBasp?) - MultiWii
so I thought to give it a try.

Well, Thanks again for your answer
:slight_smile:

nightcrawler218:
Hello all :slight_smile:

I have a usbasp programmer, Atmega328p with UNO bootloader, I DON'T have FTDI breakout board. Can you tell me how to upload sketches multiple times on the arduino chip using the USBASP protocol. I want to replace the TX, RX, RST serial protocol with the USBasp interface (Protocol only)?
Is it possible?

Thanks in advance

Simple as the arduino IDE now supports uploading sketches via hardware programmers. This will upload the sketch on the desired target board, but keep in mind that it will erase any bootloader that might have been on the target chip which is not a big deal if you plan on only using the USBasp programmer to upload sketches to the target. You can always reburn the uno bootloader to the target if you wish to user normal serial uploading in the future.

1. Select target board type in tools menu
  2. Select USBasp programmer type in tools menu
  3. Load sketch into arduino IDE edit window
  4. Select upload sketch using programmer in the files menu

Lefty

Thanks Retrolefty. your method helps me. :slight_smile: