[FAQ] Update my Email Address

I feel a bit like a fool but I can't seem how to change my registered Email address. When I got to the Email and Notifications section it doesn't give me a field where I could adjust my email address. Is it somewhere else?

I couldn't see how to do this either. It's pretty odd. Perhaps the only way is to sign up again :frowning:

On the top bar click on "Main site", and when you see the main page, click on "Profile".
On the profile page you should see a "change" link just on the left of the email.

Note: you cannot reach the SSO (Single Sign On) profile page following the "Profile" link when you are on the forum, because the standard toolbar is replaced with the forum one. This is a UX design flaw that will be fixed with the next website redesign.

cmaglie:
On the top bar click on "Main site", and when you see the main page, click on "Profile".
On the profile page you should see a "change" link just on the left of the email.

Yes I can see that, now I know :slight_smile:

This is a UX design flaw that will be fixed with the next website redesign.

Thanks for explaining why.

Iain

Thank you very much. Now I may receive notification emails again! Yay!

Hmm. I just did this and got a quick flash of an error message "about "changing email"...

But the profile shows the new email.

Now will THIS send me an email?? SOMEBODY please respond to to this so I can see??

Responding ...

Hi Robert, Thanks!

Well, it's not right. My profile shows email as terry@yourduino.com but the email notice I just got from this response is to the old email address terryking228@terryking.us .

So it didn't "work" although the profile shows the new email.

I'm afraid of breaking it to NO email, so I'm leaving it alone for now.

Hello,

Same problem for me : I had to register with an other e-mail address, and even after changing the email address related to my account, I receive the notifications with the previous e-mail address.

How can we change the notification e-mail address?

Hello,

I've sent a mail to the webmaster to ask him how to change our notification email preference.

UP ! How can I change the notification email used in the forum? I can't... I can change the login email in the main profile, but the notification email is not changed and is not updatable.

This is really annoying...

:sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

XavierMiller:
UP ! How can I change the notification email used in the forum? I can't... I can change the login email in the main profile, but the notification email is not changed and is not updatable.

This is really annoying...

You really cannot change your login email, it will be reset on the next login. To use another email you need to create a new account. For us IDs are emails (at least now, could change in the future).

Thanks,

Luca

So does this mean i cannot change my password either , when i click on profile , no information is displayed!

Do i understand it right. You can not change the email that sends you notifications about new forum posts?

Correct.
You can never change any address that sends e-mails to you.

Some forum software allows to change your e-mail address so you can receive those messages on a new address, but since you can't change your address here, this isn't possible with this software.
This isn't a choice by the Arduino team, it's a choice by the forum software developers.
They decided that your identity is defined by your e-mail address, so changing addresses would be like becoming a new entity.
Something for SMF, those developers, to change as soon as possible because calling that retarded would be too gentle to them, and insulting to some other people.

Never looked what forum software that is but now checked the html and yes it's SMF.
I find the whole settings section confusing. vBulletin and phpBB are more user friendly.

So generally you can't change the email in SMF? It's not a admin thing?
How stupid is that. I changed my mail address and do not longer have the old one.

I need to change my Email address (the provider decided to close the service). Previous posts say that it's not possible. Is that still correct?

You can change the address but forum notifications still go to the old one.
I still have my old address because of s... like this and check it ones a month.
Thats the only reason i saw you did write here.

What happened? I received a notification on this topic to my actual address...