Novice Question

No, they almost certainly don't. Why would that have anything to do with Arduino's revenue?

It is quite hard to fathom how this question appeared in a forum section labelled

Introductory Tutorials
Tutorials for new people on the forum.

and with the following two topics at the top

I'M SERIOUS - DON'T PUT YOUR QUESTIONS HERE

PLEASE DON'T POST YOUR QUESTIONS IN THIS TUTORIAL SECTION

No, tesla uses nvidia chips, supplanted by their own in house fsd computer. I think the Nissan Leaf uses a mega to control all its systems tho.

AWOL:
It is quite hard to fathom how this question appeared in a forum section labelled ...

And from an OP with 93 posts under his belt as I write this.

I suspect it was just an effort to reach the magic 100 posts.

...R

sorry, It was an honest question. No need to alpha my 93 posts, I dont have time to post 25 times per day lol

An average modern car might contain 25 to 50 microcontrollers of various sizes and types. Probably more than that on a Tesla. None of them is an “arduino”, but I wouldn’t be surprised to find an AVR doing something like managing the touch screen of the entertainment system.

Huh: Processors Analysis and Count – TeslaTap

Very interesting isn't it? Electrification is huge in the automotive realm and it is strange to me how arduino still wants to deal with novice;s like me! why arent they shooting for the stars?

BullEngineer:
Very interesting isn't it?

I suppose, when you think about it ... no.

Electrification is huge in the automotive realm and it is strange to me how arduino still wants to deal with novice;s like me! why arent they shooting for the stars?

Physically, an Arduino is just a common, non-automotive grade microcontroller on a board, with some non-automotive grade support chips.
As is, it wouldn't be appropriate to use Arduino products in commercial automotive applications.
With the addition of add-ons to make it appropriate, it wouldn't be attractive to the hobbyist.

Would it be inappropriate to ask what subject you're studying for a masters in?

it is strange to me how arduino still wants to deal with novice;s like me!

Novices are less discerning, and more fun.

In general, auto manufacturers don't deal with "middlemen" like the Arduino. They either deal direction with the chip manufacturers (in quantities large enough that they can get exactly the features they want), or complete product-like modules (radios, "oil temp sending module.")

The more interesting "marketing" question is how Arduino managed to lose to the micro:bit people in the British educational market...

westfw:
The more interesting "marketing" question is how Arduino managed to lose to the micro:bit people in the British educational market...

AVR == Norway
ARM == UK

I'm going to get my JD and hopefully become a patent lawyer. my undergrad was mechanical engineering.

Good points, would like to see some better grade devices from arduino's side.

BullEngineer:
would like to see some better grade devices from arduino's side.

They'll be expensive; you're in a minority.

maybe I am, but doesnt arduino have a majority?

A majority of what?

(Do your studies include basic literacy?)

BullEngineer:
sorry, It was an honest question. No need to alpha my 93 posts, I dont have time to post 25 times per day lol

Fair enough.

But even when I look at it now it seems a strange question popped out of the blue without any context.

I can't even begin to imagine how you might conceive of Tesla's purchasing decisions having any impact on the Arduino business. There may well be a perfectly logical explanation for your thought connections but you have not shared it with us.

...R

BullEngineer:
I'm going to get my JD and hopefully become a patent lawyer. my undergrad was mechanical engineering.

Good points, would like to see some better grade devices from arduino's side.

Might be good to include some manufacturing economics in your education. Tesla and any other capable manufacture of anything will contract out all component manufacturing they can do. That way they don't have to carry expensive personnel on their books and they can postpone paying for the R&D and for the training of the engineers. And they can bitch about the subassembly and hold up payment.

Better yet, take some courses a corporate controller might take.

Tesla only writes the specifications for the devices and accepts responsibility only when it works.

Remember the VW Diesel fiasco? They paid me $6800 to rework the emissions on my Jetta TDI. And then Bosch sent me a check for $200 because they did all the software and knew better that to let VW get away with cheating, but did it anyway.

Same with Boeing Airplane. Almost all is assemblies are subcontracted.

You will see a different Arduino when sales stop.

Paul

BullEngineer:
Very interesting isn't it? Electrification is huge in the automotive realm and it is strange to me how arduino still wants to deal with novice;s like me! why arent they shooting for the stars?

Why doesn't Lego get into building skyscrapers instead of just models? Surely that pays more than toys? Why don't they shoot for the stars?

I think you are confusing the AVR microcontroller on the Arduino for the Arduino itself. I'm sure that microcontroller gets used in all sorts of things. If I were a car manufacturer, why would I want to use a development board in my finished product? I would just use the micro and forget the dev board. Why pay Arduino at all when I can just get the chip from AVR?

Arduino gives you a nice easy beginner friendly development environment to learn to code with microcontrollers, but they do not make microcontrollers. They make boards to help learn to use microcontrollers. How would that be even remotely useful in an automobile? There you just need a micro, you don't need any help learning to play with it.

BullEngineer:

Because Arduino is a system with IDE, boards, site and forum while cars to satellites have chips.

These AVR and ARM chips on Arduino boards are still being made in huge numbers, the hobby market is just one small niche. A $2-something ATmega328P can run loads of things that a bigger controller would be wasted on.