Can't upload first sketch

Hello all,

After being a long time digitally inactive I'm looking forward to start learning C and the use of the Arduino, just because it such a practical thing.
But I'm stumped already. Please some advice. Spent hours on self help and had no luck so far.

This is what I use:
Original Arduino UNO R3
Mac OSX 10.6.8 (yes, a bit outdated but for other software reasons stuck for the next 6 months)
Java SE6
Arduino IDE 1.6.1
two "getting started books"

The board and port are correctly selected, and when I open the serial monitor the TX light comes on and I receive some characters.

When I try to upload the my first sketch the message uploading stays on and I get the following message:

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libedit.3.dylib
  Referenced from: /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude_bin
  Reason: image not found

So for I couldn't find anything related that made sense to me.

Thanks for helping, kind regards, Pieter

It looks a dynamic library version loading issue. We package avrdude on a 10.7
Try opening terminal and type

cd /usr/lib
sudo ln -s libedit.2.dylib libedit.3.dylib

Then retry starting the IDE

Thank you so much!! :slight_smile:
I have had the same problem after I have update the arduino IDE on Mac OS X 10.6.8

Hi,

Did the terminal command but didn't work. Now I'm not an expert at all, but so it seems, that 'Cd' command isn't leading to the directory that follows. Can it be missing?

nutman:
Hi,

Did the terminal command but didn't work. Now I'm not an expert at all, but so it seems, that 'Cd' command isn't leading to the directory that follows. Can it be missing?

Can you copy paste the output of those two commands?

Hi,

Ok, it works now!
I used a capital C in the cd command, so no directory change. And that made an alias in the wrong place.

Thanks a lot.

I'm also using an Uno R3, and Mac OSX 1.6.8, and this solved my problem as well. Thanks

Hello guys,
I had the same issue on Snow Leopard with a DiY Arduino 1.7.11 compiled app and re-did the Terminal move you suggest (already had done it before launching the first time actually, as suggested in the tuto, but I had the issue nonetheless), and this time it says: "ln: libedit.3.dylib: File exists" after sucessfully entering the password. What does it mean?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks a lot and in advance for your help, I'm desperate!
Cheers