Tutorial on making a basic Arduino robot

I wrote an in-depth tutorial on how to inexpensively make a basic Arduino-based robot and thought I'd share it here in case someone might find it useful: How to make a robot

I hope it helps someone out!

That is an awesome cheap way to build a robot! I will have to try it out!

Personally, I think something like this -should- have been the official "new Arduino robot"; a simple kit of parts, where the box the parts comes in becomes the robot chassis...

Now that I think about it - that really wouldn't be too difficult to design and sell! The hardest part would be getting the chassis layout created (just some basic design work, and have it printed on the cardboard "box")...

There are also companies like Pololu and BudgetRobotics that sell pre-cut plastic
bases with servo cutouts, for cheap, and that you can attach your servos and
Arduino board to.

Also, R-G, you might check out the following tape for holding servos - it's much
much better than the double-sided white stuff. I've built walking robots using
this tape to hold all the servos. Buy at the local hardware store or Home Depot.
http://www.3m.com/product/information/Scotch-Indoor-Outdoor-Mounting-Tape.html

oric_dan:
There are also companies like Pololu and BudgetRobotics that sell pre-cut plastic
bases with servo cutouts, for cheap, and that you can attach your servos and
Arduino board to.

Yeah, but I was trying to keep the robot as low cost as possible. The total cost of everything shown at the top of the page is about $60.

oric_dan:
Also, R-G, you might check out the following tape for holding servos - it's much
much better than the double-sided white stuff. I've built walking robots using
this tape to hold all the servos. Buy at the local hardware store or Home Depot.
http://www.3m.com/product/information/Scotch-Indoor-Outdoor-Mounting-Tape.html

Whoa! I'm going to have to check that out.. The tape I used was "heavy duty," but only is rated to hold 2lbs while that says 5lbs! That might almost be too permanent, though..

That might almost be too permanent,

Pulls right off - just takes > 5 lbs of force.

thanks for sharing 8)

another good piece of material is foam board, it's pretty tough but cuts good with an exacto blade and a big sheet of it cost $1 at the dollar store!

oric_dan:

That might almost be too permanent,

Pulls right off - just takes > 5 lbs of force.

Lol XD

whiskey:
thanks for sharing 8)

another good piece of material is foam board, it's pretty tough but cuts good with an exacto blade and a big sheet of it cost $1 at the dollar store!

You're welcome. Great idea on the foam board. I'll have to pick some up and try it out.

One more comment about the 3M tape is, it's just tape so sticks well without
making a permanent bond. Likewise, I use Goop for most gluing jobs. It
holds incredibly well to 'most' materials, including ABS, and unlike other
glues or epoxies, does not melt the material or form a rigid permanent
bond, so it can be undone and removed. After it's cured, you can just roll
it off the surface with your finger.

I've used hot glue like below. It is generally removable from smooth hard surfaces as well as being quick and easy to use.

http://www.lynxmotion.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3133

Nice tnx for the info guys :slight_smile:

RoboticsGuy:
I wrote an in-depth tutorial on how to inexpensively make a basic Arduino-based robot and thought I'd share it here in case someone might find it useful: How to make a robot

Nice tutorial. If foxytronics is your store, these:

are ripping off the Arduino trademark. Not cool.

tronixstuff:

RoboticsGuy:

Store - FoxyTronics

Arduino is open source and you can clearly see on that page that it is a "clone," right?

For the record, if I could afford to buy Arduino's made in Italy, I probably would. However, they are priced so high in low quantities that if I purchased them from the arduino.cc store and sold them for $29.95 like all of the other stores, I would actually lose money on them (I'm a college student running this business part time, so I can't afford to spend $50k on a huge order to get reasonable prices).

I believe in the Arduino platform and support the developers, so I take your statement seriously. I'm not trying to "rip off" anyone -- I'm trying to do the hobbyist community a favor by selling such low-priced products (I literally make cents profit on many of the items I'm selling).

This is a great tutorial! I am going to be teaching a summer camp session for teenagers and plan to buy the Funduino kits and use your tutorial as a basis -- then we will add to it. I have been pricing all of the components separately and was worried that it was going to be unaffordable. However, I came across the kit and tutorial and it was like the clouds parted and the sun shined. Thank you!

Store - FoxyTronics

On that web page there seems to be sufficient disclaimers that a trade mark is not being ripped off.

greenmoon:
This is a great tutorial! I am going to be teaching a summer camp session for teenagers and plan to buy the Funduino kits and use your tutorial as a basis -- then we will add to it. I have been pricing all of the components separately and was worried that it was going to be unaffordable. However, I came across the kit and tutorial and it was like the clouds parted and the sun shined. Thank you!

Thanks! I also offer a 10% educational discount to schools and individuals teaching camps, so shoot me an email at customerservice at foxytronics.com when you want to order.

If you want any help with the curriculum for your camp, I can put you in touch with a guy who is teaching a summer camp at a private school this summer. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to share his materials with you.

zoomkat:

Store - FoxyTronics

On that web page there seems to be sufficient disclaimers that a trade mark is not being ripped off.

In fairness to the previous poster, I don't think I had that disclaimer at the bottom of the page when he posted his comment. I've since switched over to "Funduino" boards, which clears up any potential confusion.