Due won't start after power off-on, have to reset

I have same problem. In my board and arduino-Due-schematic.pdf Vddout for core supply use 2x10 mkf capacitor - more than enough (in datasheet ATSAM3X8E for Vddout is offer 4,7 mkf capacitor).
For this reason may be violation of time in initialization flash and boot from SAM-BA .

I've attached a condenser 3000 mkf and board has been successfully starting with power outages in 5 minutes instead of 10 seconds. Now I'm thinking to delete one capacitor 10 mkf, I think this will solve the problem.

Did not help, the problem has not disappeared

Same problem here.
It seems to be common so a fix must be somewhere...
I hope.
Don

If taking out the cap doesn't solve the problem, it does not seem to be related to powering the voltage regulator (?).

It takes about 600µs until the 3.3V and 5V are fully on the 3.3V and 5V pins (> 30 sec off). It takes about 400µs when I reconnect the power supply again after disconnecting it (< 5 sec off).

Maybe the SAM3X tries to do some operations when the supply unit isn't fully stable, at around 500µs or so. Just a guess.

It's very annoying, I need the DUE to boot directly and correcty after it is switched on. It is used in an embedded project...

Its amazing! When I attached a condenser 3000 mkf to Vddcore board has been successfully starting with power outages in 5 minutes and more, more, more - every time !!!! But whith 220 mkf is works as before.

Where exactly do you connect the capacitor? Directly on pin 10 on the SAM3X? Or on the 3.3V pin? I will also try this.

Hi,
Some of my boards have the same problem.. Than noticed that, the boards with problem is R3 boards. But R3-E boards does not have that problem. Do anyone knows, what is the difference between R3 and R3E? thanks, reha

Hi, that's interesting. Where can the R3-E be found? At ebay I only found the normal R3 boards.

Hi Vile,
I purchased many (around 25) Due boards from several sources w/o knowing the "concept of E" (!) ...When I realised the problem, I noticed the difference.. Sadly, most of them R3 , not R3-E ;-((

So, I really dont know, where these boards are came from ;-(

Hi, any news or solution?

Hi,
In my case, I had been lucky. Because, my design has 2 uC's (one of them DUE, other is SANGUINO).. so the soln I found is, when Sanguino starts , it "activate" a relay, which controls the power to DUE card..

In short, Sanguino "activate the relay", so that DUE has initial power (certainly, code does not start) .. then "deactivate" the relay (ie. power of the DUE is cut ! ) , wait for 2 seconds and finally activate the relay ( so that DUE has the power again) .. In this case, code always starts (at least in my boards)

I know, it is not good design, but I could not found ant other solution. In fact another possible solution on "single uC environment" is dedicated WDT chip (will function like Sanguino) ..

but solutions are "unlogical" because R3-E version does not has that trouble but I could not found the difference btwn R3 & R3-E

reha

Hello there,

rehas solution works, but it is only a compromise. In my application, the DUE is the only controller and I don't have the time to wait a second or two until the code runs.
Is there any possibility to contact the developers as this does not seem to be an individual case?

Maybe 'wopo' can tell us where he got his DUE R3-E: Arduino DUE Booard Model DUE R3-E - Arduino Due - Arduino Forum

Solved! Just need to a capacitor which close to the reset switch. The capacitor will let the reset pin to force zero for a short period. However, if you are using many shield on this board, you also need to add a capacitor for each shield's reset switch.

Hi,

great you found a solution! For my board it doesn't work, but also the reset button never has worked before. I guess I have to get a new one, then I`ll try it again!

Vile

Hi Martin,
excellent and bvery very practical solution. could you please tell me about capacity of the capacitor you used? many thanks, reha

Hi all,
I soldered 1uF tantal capacitor as Martin mention btwn pins of the reset switch and it works ! reha

Hi all,
another update.. As Martin mentioned that "if you are using many shield on this board, you also need to add a capacitor for each shield's reset switch.".. I need to update my response as..

1uF capacitor is sufficient for "board only". But when I connected my SDMemory card to board, I needed to increase capacitor to 4.7uF...

Hi! I am using 10uF/10V capacitor for my board. My arduino board is connected to iteadstudio's motor shield and Arduino Ethernet shield.

Friends,
I need to update the capacity values that I shared yesterday. Yesterday, 1uf/4.7uF capacitors had been worked. But today I noticed that "some of the boards" (most probably I purchased them from different manifacturer" need even bigger capacity.. I used 10uF/10V capacitor (like Martin did) .. they are working normally.. reha

Hi,
I tried it with 2,2uF and 4,7uF and both did not work on the DUE only, no shield or periphery. So it seems to be related to my specific board (as I said the reset button is not working). In a few days I can test it with a new Arduino DUE.
Vile