Arduino Nano not found on windows 10

Hello everyone
I'm a noob to all this and wanting to try it, i'v got a everything i need for what i want but my computer cant see/connect to the Nano.
Iv tried everything iv seen on Youtube, on here and everything else but i cant seem to work it out.

I'm running windows 10 64 bit
Arduino Nano with FTDI FT232RL chip, bought it from here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151963673207?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Running Arduino 1.8.0

Iv downloaded the FTDI driver

Gone into Computer management selected Ports, com3 tried updating driver software and pointing it to the Arduino driver but it doesn't work or change.

this is the error message i get

Arduino: 1.8.0 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328"

Sketch uses 3772 bytes (12%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.
Global variables use 225 bytes (10%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1823 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM3": The device is not connected.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

if i have missed anything else let me know

Thanks in adance

Hi and welcome,

Very first question:
Are you sure that your Nano comes with a FTDI chip? You can easily check this by looking at the 20..30 pin chip on the bottom of your Nano (if it says FTDI - you are right; if it says CH340G or similar - you need a CH340 driver).

Second question:
You said you are dealing with COM3 - are you sure that your Nano is connected to COM3 or is it another USB device?
In the IDE/tools/ports do you see more than one COM port? If so, select the other one.
But you could also have a look at the device manager first; here is a sequence to narrow the issue down:

1. unplug the Nano
  2. open device manager in Windows
  3. plug the Nano in and watch what happens

-> If nothing happens or you see a yellow "!" in the USB section - then your driver is either not ok, not correctly installed or not present at all
-> If your driver was installed correctly you should see that in the serial communication section a new device has shown up and it comes with an assigned COM port (this is the one to select in the IDE)

Addit:
Just had a small talk with Aunt Google. She told me that on the gravitech boards you might find counterfeit FTDI chips. The original FTDI manufacturer (in conjunction with Microsoft) issued Windows updates which block/brick your fake FTDI chip. If you really got the counterfeit FTDI chip on board of your Nano - then Google for "FTDI clone brick solution" or so to find tons of recipes to unbrick your clone. But then that's not my area anymore.

Unplug the NANO from the computer

Open DEVICE MANAGER

First double check you have no exclamation marks or question marks agains any hardware.
If you do find and fix that issue first.

Expand the COM ports section in device manager.

Wait a few seconds

Plug in the NANO

If it shows in the COM section the drivers are in and whatever port is shows is the one you select in the IDE.

If however it shows up anywhere else especially with any sort of issue then its possible the driver was not installed correctly.

Also could you post a decent pic of the UNDERSIDE of the board. (JIC its a CH340 based).

Try a few more cables too JIC its a cable issue.

AVOID USB 3.0 ports wherever possible with Arduinos as its a hit and miss affair. If you have to use USB 3.0 place a POWERED USB 2.0 hub between the USB 3.0 and the Arduino.

LOL same advice as RPT

The price you paid would suggest a cheaper board which are usually CH340 based as RPT mentioned

Picture to follow ?

attache.jpg

this is the chip

Great pic !

Yup so it really is an FTDI.

Did you install the driver as ADMINISTRATOR ?
OR
Tell windows to ignore driver enforcement and treat the driver as a trusted source ?

That has been known to fix issues.

erm im not sure tbh

When i unplug and plug it back in nothing happens in the computer management system

As Administrator HERE

Driver enforcement here

Even if he succeeds as admin to install the driver: there is a great potential that he is faced with the FTDI counterfeit issue ...

dont panic, after most of my hair has been pulled out, changing admin this that and another, i changed cable and it blimming worked!

thank you everyone

I know this thread is over 2 years old but I'm going to share what I think is happening:

The software firm which writes the driver for the FTDI (serial to USB) chips wrote a 'bullet' in the code to target counterfeits. They pushed this update to be included in a Windows update. Chances are A $1-3 Arduino has a counterfeit chip hence the problems being seen here.

I have both versions of the Arduinos, plugging in an authentic board has 0 issues. Plugging in a knockoff is not detected.

This issue does not exist with my Ubuntu machine, Ubuntu detects them all.

Here is an article for reference: Counterfeit FTDI Chips

chiques:
I know this thread is over 2 years old but I'm going to share what I think is happening:

It would be best if you just read the thread first and realised that the OP's cable was faulty. He replaced it and the Nano started working correctly.