Why am I getting an "Uploader full" message?

Yesterday I composed a reply with a schematic attached, and every time I tried to post it the forum gave message "The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator.". I tried again today with the same result. Yet others have been posting replies to the same topic with images attached. Why am I unable to post when I include this image? The schematic is a 89Kb jpeg from a scanner, not exactly huge.

Same problem. Can't read PM's either. Many thanks

same here, i also lost my biiig post :@

I can post images, but only as website links.

A problem like this may happen !

But loosing the complete post is :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ]:slight_smile: ]:smiley: :slight_smile:

Seems 'somebody' ran out of space / disk quota :wink:

Doesn't anyone have a direct e-mail to Massimo? Drop him a friendly note? Between the frustration of the extremely slow site, and now a filled storage space, what else must go wrong before they actually do something, rather than telling us 'we're aware and looking into it' ...

I managed to re-post my reply with the schematic attached, but only after shrinking it to 8K, which meant is was not entirely legible.

I e-mailed Massimo about it yesterday, maybe my "Moderator Clout" will help :grin:

DUDE, WE ARE POPULATING OUR HELP SERVER

How long does it take?
That quoye is from the "help" section of the main site.

Wish I had seen that page when the forum was down...

Seems to work again for now :wink:

upload works now, fixed

sorry guys, but we have now over 300GB in attachments in this forum ... we are getting some sort of critical size :slight_smile:

/d

upload works now, fixed

sorry guys, but we have now over 100GB in attachments in this forum ... we are getting some sort of critical size :slight_smile:

/d

What do people attach that is so large? Images in BMP format ??

Maybe the attachments could be limited to plain-text (code) and .zip files of code.

I don't know if SMF uses a separate folder for the attachments, so it could be mounted on a disk of its own. If you can use BTRFS for that, you'd save space again, as it supports online LZO compression.

Hej,

it is in fact using its own folder to store all the attachments. We are now working with a new forum server to be integrated in the next couple of months. We might implement a solution very similar to the one you are suggesting, thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

/d

Just made a blog post about all the issues we faced last month, please read:

We are now working with a new forum server to be integrated in the next couple of months.

Please let us know BEFORE you do this, so that we know we should expect another round of longer-than-expected outages. It's not that stuff doesn't happen, but there was no warning at all last time, so when the stuff happened, there was no way to know why it was happening.

Paul,

I did inform I was going to make a server migration both on my twitter, on Arduino's twitter and other places. However I realize I should have posted it to the forum's news just like I did last year. Therefore I wrote that long blog post now to say how sorry I am about the downtime.

Anyway, you are right :slight_smile: and next time you will know with at least one week time in all possible ways.

Thanks for your patience,

/d

Anyway, you are right :slight_smile: and next time you will know with at least one week time in all possible ways.

I read the post. I know that the server needed upgrading, but some of the decisions baffle me. I would have expected that the new hardware would have been on hand, and tested prior to scheduling the upgrade. In a way, it is good that it wasn't, because what we ended up with was a better machine, but it boggles the mind that the time to check on the hardware availability was after the migration had been scheduled.

The 6 hours with one machine turned off is inexcusable. The migration process should have alerted someone, somehow that it was having difficulties. I don't imagine that time zone and language differences make things easy, but really an ISP that leaves you stranded like that leaves a bit to be desired.

I'm glad that the upgrade is over. Performance is much better, most of the time.

However I realize I should have posted it to the forum's news just like I did last year

It did seem like you missed the most obvious place to post the information.

If it speeds things up by taking the whole forum offline during a migration, then, by all means, do so. Just tell us in advance.