We need a bot.

raymw:
If you use a canned answer, then it usually shuts down the thread. The op most likely will clear off, or maybe repost the query in another section. It prevents discussion by those who may be interested in teasing out the details. It may be better not to answer at all. It sort of reminds me of bidding on ebay - who gets in quickest, and increases their status.

Please explain your reasoning behind this opinion.

I don't see a difference to the OP between me posting a copy/paste answer vs me hand crafting an answer with the exact same information, but slightly different wording every time. OP will never even know it was a copy/paste answer because they would have needed to bother to search the forum to see my previous identical posts and if they had done that then they never would have needed to ask the question in the first place. The only difference is that I can spend a good deal of time writing and refining a high quality answer to common a question and after that it takes me only a matter of seconds to copy paste it every time that same question comes up. That means I can work more efficiently and have time to help more people. Everyone wins.