Who is messing around with my notification settings ?

Just got a shitload of e-mails from this forum telling me that someone has replied to some thread i participated in.
I am 100 % sure i disabled that really annoying function, but for some reason that got reset today.

I know that this forum software is work in progress, has been for years now.
But tell about what you are going to change stuff.
And tell before you go and make changes, instead of making changes and see who will complain first about the latest screw up.

Noticed it this morning and turned them off again. It had absolutely no effect, still being spammed.

Right.

Came back to check on it, now i got all kind of spam telling me a thread was moved and about replies.

Crap.
I don't need nor want it.

I went to my settings again.
Now you have multiple pages where you can set your notification preferences.
You need to uncheck all the crap you don't need.
If you have participated in threads after someone has changed your preferences by adding this 'feature', and before you switched the option off again, then those threads in which you did participate, will be in some list telling the forum software you want to be notified of any changes.
That list has priority over the check box about you wanting to receive notifications or not.
In other words, seems i just got rid of this crap.
Let's hope it'll stay that way.
You can find it under profile > notifications > tab Watched Topics.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?action=profile;area=notification;sa=topics
(the actual link has an appendix with reference to the user too (;u={your user account number here}), but it will work without that, just tested it.

Yes, but do I have to keep going there and unchecking topics forever? Anyway, I'm looking at that page and all the "receive email" boxes are unchecked. But I'm still getting notifications.

I just took another look before i linked here from the other topic, and those boxes have been unchecked for the past 10 hours.
So i'm hopeful that this will be a work around.

People keep creating or activating new functions where they should get rid of the crap they created over 2 years ago first.
So us mortals need to go and look for a work around whenever they screw up again.

Crap.

You need to go to that link, check the top right check box (to check all boxes below), and then click the "Unnofity" button.
After that the threads new in that list will also not generate alerts anymore.

If you participate in any thread you haven't participated in before, they will automatically be set so you will get e-mails.
You now need to go and check the above link and disable the newly added items in this list as mentioned above.
Note that there are multiple pages in this list so you might need to check other pages too.
The items in the list are newest first (that's how they seem to be displayed to me).

What a ridiculous idea, what idiot thinks that is a good thing to have on your forum...

When sending notification of a reply to a topic, send the post in the email (but please don't reply to these emails.)

I WILL be sending replies from now on.
And they will contain a clear message which won't be misunderstood.
Perhaps that will get someone's attention.

MAS3:
I WILL be sending replies from now on.
And they will contain a clear message which won't be misunderstood.
Perhaps that will get someone's attention.

That is an idea!

If the storage quota for that email is all used up, it may become unable to send emails. It has happened with my work email.

I tried everything, but I'm still receiving emails.

Same here. I can't get it to stop.

The notification forum setting "Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic" seems to keep getting turned back on, even when you explicitly turn it off, save, and get a "settings updated" confirmation...

I seem to have stopped it with Notifications->Notifications Preferences->Alert Preferences->Boards and Topics->Notify me of: [nothing at all]. Either that, or my mail server couldn't take the barrage. I hope not.

*** edit - neither - it was just a posting lull. It' still not working!!!!!! ***

Is anyone at the helm?

I get no emails at all. However I disabled these settings a while ago so I guess I missed error. This was back in 2011 -2012 when alerts where previously enabled (and the previous version of the forum software).

Now I'm just annoyed that because I updated my profile it stripped the tags from my signature. Some of us would like to have useful links in there!

I disabled it years ago too.
But on may 13th the spamming suddenly reappeared.

Sooooo..... It appears there is no site admin or anyone in charge of the site that ever actually looks at this forum? I see many people having this problem, several threads on the topic, and not a single response from a site admin giving so much as a hint that this annoying problem will be dealt with.

Regards,
Ray L.

RayLivingston:
Sooooo..... It appears there is no site admin or anyone in charge of the site that ever actually looks at this forum? I see many people having this problem, several threads on the topic, and not a single response from a site admin giving so much as a hint that this annoying problem will be dealt with.

Regards,
Ray L.

I put in an update to the current issue: Notifications: Receive Email // Receive Alert · Issue #205 · arduino/forum-assets · GitHub

From the previous comments, it appears they only tested the feature one way (enabling emails, not disabling them).

RayLivingston:

Unfortunately that seems to be the usual situation. I have complained about it many times.

In another related Thread I mentioned that I sent a PM to @mastrolinux about this problem - but I have had no response.

...R

I hadn't received any notification emails this morning and was about to say that the problem appeared to be fixed. Then another notification email appeared in my inbox one minute ago.

Sigh

Pete

Ok, it seems my request to stop all emails until the settings problem has been sorted may go ahead. I do not have this problem (already disabled for good), requested just to ease the inboxes of you guys :slight_smile: