Arduino 101 Error: device not responding.

The dfu utility appeared exactly the same whether or not I had just reset the 101. But, the "Arduino 101 DFU Interface" did show up in the device manager momentarily when resetting.

Thanks,
Liz

Ive been having the same problem, and i was able to switch to another laptop that had a USB 2.0 port and finally i could pass the sketch to the board. What a pain.

I have the same problem on my laptop running Windows 7 but it seems to work fine on my laptop at home running Windows 10. I don't know if this could have something to do with it.

lsaunders:
I have the same problem on my laptop running Windows 7 but it seems to work fine on my laptop at home running Windows 10. I don't know if this could have something to do with it.

Try the steps in the stickied thread at the top of the main 101 forum.
"dfu-utils update -> please test if you have upload problems"
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=388754.0

Solved my problem in Win7 weeks back.

Hello,

Got same message using laptop with windows XP.

Sketch uses 41,250 bytes (20%) of program storage space. Maximum is 196,608 bytes.
Starting download script...
Flashing is taking longer than expected
Try pressing MASTER_RESET button
ERROR: Device is not responding.
Device is not responding, check the right serial port is selected or RESET the board right before exporting

So, is this a problem with version of windows? Do I have to change machine?

I was having the same problem: unable to upload a program to a brand new 101. Now it works.

I can successfully load both BLE LED example programs and also the ReadTime program read via Serial Monitor. (BTW, using the iOS MCP app, you need to send either 00 or 01 to turn the LED on/off.)

I am running a modern 64 bit laptop with USB 3.0 ports. All ports work fine with either of two USB cables that I have. So I don't believe the problem is related to USB cables or USB 2.0/3.0.

How did I fix it? Well, I tried several things and I'm not sure which one fixed it, so perhaps someone can try these methodically and confirm the best fix.

1. Uninstall the Arduino IDE and manually deleted the Arduino15 folder in user..\AppsData.

2. Restart laptop.

3. Download and install IDE 1.6.8. (Earlier failed attempt was with current 1.6.9.)

4. Restart laptop.

5. Open IDE. In Boards Manager, searched Intel, selected Curie boards, and install v1.0.4. (Earlier failed attempt was with current 1.0.5.)

6. Restart laptop.

7. Open IDE. Plug in 101 for the first time. Device showed up normally in Device Manager.

8. Select proper port (COM5 for me) and proper board (101). Select example file LED under CurieBle. Click verify. Looks good. Click upload. SUCCESS! Can now see the 101 in nRF MCP, can turn LED on/off. BLE functions now work with 5V USB charger. (but not 9V battery, guess that's not an option) No need to press either reset button during upload.

So the fix is either one of the software downgrades, or careful installation procedure.

Previously, I tried the dfu-utils updates but that didn't fix this problem.

With the current setup, I see this message:

Invalid DFU suffix signature
A valid DFU suffix will be required in a future dfu-util release!!!
can't detach

Hey I saw your post and I was wondering if you can get the arduino to show up on bluetooth devices when it's serial port is not connected to the PC. The arduino only appears on Bluetooth if its connected to my laptop, but if I remove it and try providing power using a 9V battery, or directly giving 3.3V at the pin, the Bluetooth functionality is lost (even though the device is technically on as the green LED is on)

Could you please help me with this issue, if there's any workaround.

when this problem will get solved ?

I'm using Macbook with Arduino IDE 1.6.8 and Intel Curie board 1.0.6

Try to upload sketch and got this error

Device is not responding, check the right serial port is selected or RESET the board right before exporting

Anything updated about this issue?

kpansavuth:
I'm using Macbook with Arduino IDE 1.6.8 and Intel Curie board 1.0.6

Try to upload sketch and got this error

Anything updated about this issue?

I am facing the same problem with my brand new Genuino 101. I have installed 1.6.9 IDE and the latest curie board. Please help. The board power LED too doesnt come up when connected to the USB on my mac.

I have similar issue as below. but when I changed the 101 board, it works.
I can't use that board which had upload issue?

Arduino: 1.6.10 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino 101"

Sketch uses 17,244 bytes (11%) of program storage space. Maximum is 155,648 bytes.
Starting download script...

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Hi,
Just started using the 101. Got the same error from my board when i tried to use the blink example:

In my case i downloaded a different version of Intel Curie Boards which was the 1.0.6.(before it was 1.0.7).
Hope this works for you guys as well.

Hi, I have the same problem on my iMac with El Capitan. It's very frustrating. Any help please.

On my Windows 10 system, I solved this intermittent problem by going into Device Manager, finding "Ports (Com & LPT)" and then in that section locating the Arduino 101 labeled Serial Monitor port. Right-click and select "Disable" to disable that port. The, Right-click again and select "Enable". When I go back to the Arduino 101 IDE it now works. Also double check in the Tools menu to make sure the board and the port are still set to the Aruduino 101. This clears up the problems for me every time.

[Maybe a couple more clues to some of the issues here](http://It took a bit of research but here is what fixed it for me. take note about the Antivirus as it may not just be AVAST.)

This helped me on Ubuntu:

sudo ~/.arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/arduino101load/1.6.9+1.28/scripts/create_dfu_udev_rule

jccraig:
On my Windows 10 system, I solved this intermittent problem by going into Device Manager, finding "Ports (Com & LPT)" and then in that section locating the Arduino 101 labeled Serial Monitor port. Right-click and select "Disable" to disable that port. The, Right-click again and select "Enable". When I go back to the Arduino 101 IDE it now works. Also double check in the Tools menu to make sure the board and the port are still set to the Aruduino 101. This clears up the problems for me every time.

Thank you @jccraig!

I'll test it on my Windows 10 system! 8)

I really don't think that the solution will be platform specific. The complaint is too broad. I haven't seen a convincing explanation of it. Weird combinations of hitting master reset and reset buttons then rehitting the upload script in the UI have always worked for me when things get difficult. I suspect that nobody really knows the root cause yet, and that it's software not hardware related. Just a semi-educated guess.

DOH! I wish I read this forum entry before I bought my Genuino 101. Why?

Well I had the same problem with a CurieNano.

Got no help fixing it.

Tried different computer, bought fresh data cables, tried all USB ports etc.

Assumed I got a dud CurieNano so bought a Geniuno 101.

Same problem with the Geniuno 101.

The problem is in the IDE/Drivers for sure.

I can get the chip info so the IDE can see and talk to the board, just cannot load software onto it.

DFRobot admitted they had seen the problem. But when I went to negotiate a return on my CurieNano board DFRobot appeared to require me to have "different" problem to be eligible for replacement. I think there is a real problem here no one is admitting to.

I actually have USB 2.0, tried manual install of drivers.

All hale Intel. There used to be a thing called Wintel you remember? I note the same problem turns up on Linux. That is therefore a bug in the IDE OR we are being sold dud boards.

Has to be one or the other.

Has anyone been given the suggestion to download the firmware source, build and install? Don't, you will do any warrantee on the boards. My view is I bought a functioning board not just chips soldered to a board - which is all I have at the moment ... twice over.

raj174:
Hi,
Just started using the 101. Got the same error from my board when i tried to use the blink example:

In my case i downloaded a different version of Intel Curie Boards which was the 1.0.6.(before it was 1.0.7).
Hope this works for you guys as well.

Nope. I tried that and the 1.0.6 has a list of other error messages. I even tried 1.0.5 but the install hung the IDE.